All Star CMW3000

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
DD currently has a CMW4000 and while it is not dead yet I would like to get her a new mitt that we could start to break in before her current mitt gives out. I was reading on the all star website that a single hinge mitt protects the thumb better than a dual hinge. Her CMW4000 is a dual hinge but if the CMW3000 which is a single hinge is a better mitt and offers more protection then I would rather go that route. I am not sure how a single hinge design would protect better. To me it would seem the opposite would be true. Any thoughts?

All-Star Sporting Goods | #MFRA | CMW3000

"Designed with high grade Maruhashi leather, this glove will be a bit stiff out of the box, but will break in fast and last for seasons. The single hinge design allows for more control and helps keep your thumb more protected than traditional double-hinge designs. This glove features an index finger hood, so you can have your index finger out for more padding, but still protected and covered. The Pro Guard Padding™ (PGP™) provides just the right amount of padding in the palm."

Side note-We have tried Vinci but it didn't work out so well.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The CMW3000 is a very nice mitt - good materials, well built. The single hinge design is a different feel than the dual-hinge 4000, but some players prefer it. The padding and protection of the 3000 is only surpassed by Vinci, and is a step up from the 4000 in that area.

Between the two, my DD (12U TB) preferred the 4000, but ended up going with a Mizuno MVP (which has lasted about a year, and will need to be replaced soon).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I have one that I bought for me to bucket catch my DD, she's consistently throwing 59/60 mph and I never ever get a stinger! Every now and then I'll palm one and know it but that model has great protection, really good mitt! We have a girl that's moving up from MS to HS this year and she has a 4000 model, nice mitt but no comparison IMHO. The thumb on the 3000 is very thick on the leading edge and it puts your thumb in a position that's hard for the ball to come into contact with, hope that made sense?

I saw your side note, how old is your DD? I helped break in a JCV-22 earlier this year and that one's the third 22 mitt I've got to play with. It was super nice, in fact it made me "almost" wish I'd bought one! The steer hide leather on that particular 22 mitt was as nice as any kip, Heart of the Hide, or Japanese tan leather I've seen. But you can't go wrong with the CMW3000, it's a great mitt.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
DD's had the 3000 for a year and a half of TB, indoor league and a season of HS ball as starting catcher for both teams. It's still going strong. Of course she takes care of it also. Put's a ball in it and stores it inside her helmet to maintain the pocket, wipes it down once a month or so with a dry rag, sprays a light leather conditioner on it before each season starts etc.etc. It's still almost like new.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
I saw your side note, how old is your DD? I helped break in a JCV-22 earlier this year and that one's the third 22 mitt I've got to play with. It was super nice, in fact it made me "almost" wish I'd bought one! The steer hide leather on that particular 22 mitt was as nice as any kip, Heart of the Hide, or Japanese tan leather I've seen. But you can't go wrong with the CMW3000, it's a great mitt.

She is 12. A big 12. We didn't get the jcv-22 we got the jcv-34. Even after an extremely long break in period the ball would continually pop out. It just seemed like the pocket wasn't as deep as the all stars or it had too much padding.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
She is 12. A big 12. We didn't get the jcv-22 we got the jcv-34. Even after an extremely long break in period the ball would continually pop out. It just seemed like the pocket wasn't as deep as the all stars or it had too much padding.

Me and Eric just had this conversation, I would definitely say it's the padding! I think Vinci's have a plenty deep enough pocket but their padding is over the top. Like me and Eric were saying, the padding has a memory all it's own! I think his DD is 12? He just bought her a 34 model and has started the break in process. I personally think the 22 model is a fantastic mitt and plenty of glove for a 12 year old, heck even a 16 year old! They're tough gloves, I even told Eric today the proper way to break one in, nobody listens to me!

Longshot, the CMW3000 is a great mitt and will serve your DD well.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Me and Eric just had this conversation, I would definitely say it's the padding! I think Vinci's have a plenty deep enough pocket but their padding is over the top. Like me and Eric were saying, the padding has a memory all it's own! I think his DD is 12? He just bought her a 34 model and has started the break in process. I personally think the 22 model is a fantastic mitt and plenty of glove for a 12 year old, heck even a 16 year old! They're tough gloves, I even told Eric today the proper way to break one in, nobody listens to me!

Longshot, the CMW3000 is a great mitt and will serve your DD well.

We tried the 22 when my DD was 9yo. It was too much, and she had the same issues Longshot mentioned. I sold it to a DFP'er whose 12yo (I think) DD did very well with it. My DD is now 12yo, and we are trying again with a 34. As far as I can tell, the palm pad is the same as the 22, and this is where the challenge is in breaking the thing in. I'm hoping it's successful this time around. The 34 is a pretty awesome mitt, but I will agree that the pocket is on the shallower side.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Really, really interested to know if anyone's has a specific method to overcome the issue of the ball popping out as a result of the Vince's palm padding NOT catcher mechanics)? This is the only issue DD has with the glove. It's gotten better but still happens more often than you'd like to see. Any suggestions as to what we can do to help with this?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
You might want to consider having her current glove re-laced. It may bring it back to life, or at least would give her a solid backup.

Aug 31, 2015
Texas
Thanks for all the info guys and gals. I did have her glove relaced/restored not to long ago and I think that added some life. I am going to pull the trigger on the cmw3000 and give it a spin. Here are some side by side photos for comparison. It looks like the cmw4000 traps the ball slightly better to me but YMMV.
20161210_145525.jpg20161210_145831.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi