Advice from an old man

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2010
:DI ran into an old retired softball coach yesterday we talked softball till I just had to leave.
Before I let him go I asked him for some advice on coaching.

Now this fellow coached from 8 year olds all the way through college for 42 years Heres what he told me.
First dont talk too much they dont want to hear it and they get bored.
Always be approachable they will talk about the darndest things and need to be heard.
Be srtict but dont be an assh***.
When the time comes , And it will , when you think you know it all ,your ready to start learning.
Remember that they are always going to be people but not always softball players.

And the most important thing he said: Winning is a by product of having fun NOT the other way around.
Simply put you cannot win if you dont have fun no matter the level.

He said when I started puting having fun first the wins came . Be loose have fun and play the game if the teams are at all closly matched the one having fun will win every time.

He said nothing about hitting form or pitching style. Nothing softball specific really. In fact at one time he said" Coaching softball has very little to do with softball".

Jun 21, 2010
Nice post.

He re-enforces the old adage "That boys have to play good to feel good, while girls have to feel good to play good"!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00