A tough one--is she out or safe?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD was upset about the call. It didn't decide the game, but still...to an untrained observer it seems she was safe.
safe-or-out.JPG

May 29, 2015
You can't go from a still photo to determine. For all we know she tagged her and is raising back up.

^This.

My eye went immediately to the ball behind the fence. I didn't realize right away it was in the dugout. I thought it was several feet away ... Coaches, please keep your equipment put away, even in the dugout.

The next thing I was trying to figure out was why there wasn't a safety base. Third base at an odd angle with the ball coming in from the outfield? (EDIT: Hey Blue! Get your glasses checked and read the caption! D'oh!)

Jan 8, 2019
Since making a call on this still frame is questionable anyway, how about a hypothetical curiosity for fun sake: IF the blue was right on top of the play and somehow managed to see that the fielder’s glove lacing was touching the runner’s leg (it’s actually close in the pic above) prior to her foot touching the base (ball secure in glove), does that constitute an “out” call?

Jun 11, 2013
Since making a call on this still frame is questionable anyway, how about a hypothetical curiosity for fun sake: IF the blue was right on top of the play and somehow managed to see that the fielder’s glove lacing was touching the runner’s leg (it’s actually close in the pic above) prior to her foot touching the base (ball secure in glove), does that constitute an “out” call?
I'm not sure on that. MLB changed it in 2016 that it's not enough for laces to be a tag.

Dec 11, 2010
Player comment plus photo equals -I-

Usually they are right about the calls they are still peeved about after the game.

Tell her nice slide Sluggers

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06