A few things you may not know about college athletic scholarships

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2011
I know this is a well-informed board but there is still some good info in this article:

The ProScoutSports, LLC Blog: A few things you may not know about college athletic scholarships

One of the schools she heard back from, and the school that I felt she was most interested in all along, was Boston College. What she learned during her communication with the coach was shocking to her. Boston College does not offer any athletic scholarships to its swimmers. None. Zero. Is it any wonder that BC really can't compete against other top schools in the ACC in swimming?

The coach at BC told Lindsay to get admitted into school and that if she gets in that she'll have an opportunity to try out for the team. There are no guarantees she'll make it. The coach even said that it's been his intention to reduce the number of swimmers on their roster. Yet, she had made contact with the coach and will have the opportunity to try out.

As you may know, NCAA Division I athletic teams are limited in the amount of scholarships they may offer. There is a maximum number, but no minimum. For example, St. Bonaventure, a school in the Atlantic 10 Conference, only offers four (4) softball scholarships. These scholarships are also one-year aid, so the school may decide to pull the scholarship.

There is way more most don't think of like insurance.....if your kid gets injured playing a sport a lot of colleges don't take care of the bills it's on your dime. Make sure you ask if they cover injuries or not ours doesn't. Also meal plans, most have a basic plan that comes with either 2 or three meals daily if you want extra it can be as much as $3000 a year extra

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma