9 yo needs assistance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
First I need to apologize about the cock-eyed view and my daughters choice of shoes. This is the only video I have, but will post another video after next week during tournament play. We have been working on t's all winter and with some TCB balls and she has been hhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw6-krA9PsUitting well, but she has played in 4 games and she hasn't even touched the ball with the bat. Please look and give any feedback along with any drills to work on. Thank you.

Ejr - YouTube

May 25, 2010
A few of those swings were decent, but turn your camera right-side up and have her wear proper shoes. I'm sure you'll get plenty of valuable tips from some of the experts here.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
IMO....She needs to avoid getting so spread out with her feet. Every time she take such a long stride she is dropping her body; creating a situation where her arms are casting out or up to adjust in order to make contact. I had two players with this problem....I put there front foot in a 5 gallon bucket while swinging. It is extremely awkward and makes them quickly realize what they are doing with there feet. Once you do this and the "long stride" is reduced a bit and there is more core body control then work on other details.

Mar 31, 2012
Her feet are two wide apart and if you look at her back foot you can see its staying planted flat in most of the swings. She isn't really opening her hips up which is decelerating her swing right in the middle of it.

And here's a link to a piece of freeware that flips video for you. Worked great on a "first-fish" video for me.

Did you know big-bass in Florida will eat hot-dogs right off the bottom in the middle of the day? I know! I wouldn't have believed it myself either if I hadn't seen it.

Free Video Flip and Rotate: rotate video, flip video!

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
I love the dog attacking the ball in the background. All joking aside, the shoes are a big problem. Practice how you play, wear cleats, flip flops are a great way to roll your ankle.
I would break out the tee here for a little while. As 02Crush pointed out, the stride is way to long, and IMOP, I wouldnt have her start as wide as she does. She is starting her swing with her hands, not her hips. and she is reaching out too far in front of her to make contact with the ball.
I like to go with a ground up approach. Fix the stride and the hips first. Have her work on "Throwing her bellybutton to the pitcher". After you get somewhere with that, re do the video and see what you are working with. I have a hunch that if you fix these two some of the other problems might quite down or go away.

Apr 27, 2012
One thing I'd add is that she's not looking at the point of contact.

I give you props for working with her....taking the time will certainly pay off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild