52 with bad mech, 49 with better mech

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2010
ken thanks, i talked to her pc he said same thing. her problem is with batters. she pitched 12u games last night again walked the first 3, then its like something clicks and she gets busy. pc told me not to say a word, before during or after pitching that she will figure it out. so i didn't until i saw her actually drag up, i praised her. she told me later that when i told her good job for dragging it didn't feel any different to her than any other pitch.
light bulb moment for me, that wasn't cutting it for her to even think about dragging it up. we took video today of just her feet and pc would use key words until he got a quicker foot. it was "use your abdomen to finish" foot came up quick and crisp. showed her the video and she was ecstatic.
have decided to talk to tb coach and see about putting a limit on innings. he tends to throw her a little more than my liking anyway and he knows are intentions are to develop for down the road and not so much to be that great 12u pitcher.

May 7, 2008
As far as speed goes and distance, most, if not all, radar guns are set to read the "out of hand" speed of the ball and present that on the screen. That is the highest reading of the pitch. The distance to the plate is irrelevant. I haven't heard anyone commenting on timing when talking about this pitchers stride in relation to her arm circle. That I believe can be a bigger factor in why she throws the speed she does and her proclivity in throwing the ball high.

May 9, 2008
Hartford, CT
My 8th grader (just turned 14) made a major change to leap style from step ...
accuracy down a little ... really hugging/missing inside corner
she has been brainwashed never to throw down the middle ...
.. walking a couple more a game than in the past .... still winning ....

Her change-up improved drastically (no idea why).

I did think her speed would go down ... it may have ... but now she is 5+ feet closer at release so it doesn't really look slower ... haven't checked speed since change .. most hits are mid to right side of field (2nd base over) ... very few near SS...so I'm not really concerned about that number ... her nirvana is to consistently make 55 ...

Playing middle school and Rec through mid-June then on to her Summer Travel team. Figured this would be a good time to take the hit in performance and change her style. She dominates pitching with these teams so she is confident to go for it.... not worried about performamce so she just goes all out.

I guess what we are seeing is that the change resulted in a performance hit that we believe will be short lived and pitching to real batters is significantly making a difference in her adjusting to this quicker.

My 11 year old is vey inconsistnt ... pitches well in the backyard ... but still working on mound performance in a game .. Rec league 9-12 year old level .. no one is pitching more that 45mph ..

Takes time ....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207