40 Feet AGAIN

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I’ve seen a lot of high level 18U travel softball and one thing I can say is most of the top teams don’t seem to be bothered by speed. It better come with a good changeup and/or a good movement pitch. Or you better be a unicorn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
💥💯%

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Here is another way to put this perspective about speed~
that there are pitchers who do not throw more than 60 to 63 miles an hour and they can compile a whole bunch of strikeouts also.
=control of speeds the can throw
& location.

Oct 14, 2019
It definitely helps if the fastball has movement. Fouts pretty much lives on high heat though.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It definitely helps if the fastball has movement. Fouts pretty much lives on high heat though.
LOL you mean purposely throw a breaking pitch that has speed on it.
Hard drop, hard curve...

Jun 8, 2016
LOL you mean purposely throw a breaking pitch that has speed on it.
Hard drop, hard curve...
We going to go here again? 😂

As far as I understand, just like in baseball, you can change your grip ( 2 seam vs 4 seam) to get more movement on a pitch which you throw like a fastball (eg you are not trying to impart any sort of spin to get the ball to curve or drop more or not drop as much)

Jul 31, 2019

As far as I understand, just like in baseball, you can change your grip ( 2 seam vs 4 seam) to get more movement on a pitch which you throw like a fastball (eg you are not trying to impart any sort of spin to get the ball to curve or drop more or not drop as much)
Changing grips combined with various pressure point influences can definitely change the movement and speed of a FB. Adding palm angle, release point and posture changes influence movement even further.

Feb 25, 2020

I dont think it is fair to say that a 4 seam fastball doesnt move. Or that pitchers dont care how much spin is on it. Or that a 2 seamer moves more(it just moves differently) I think the sticky stuff was just as much(or more) for the fastball as for breaking balls. Movement should really be thought as how much the pitch deceives the batter.

For example Justin Verlanders fastball dropped ~10 inches less than it would in a vacuum(thx spin). His curveball(WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT BREAKS ABOUT 3 FEET) actually only drops about 7 inches more than it would in a vacuum considering gravity. That doesnt count horizontal movement but the idea that a 4 seam fastball is a straight pitch or only tails is not really getting the whole picture.

EDIT: To bring it back to softball, bullet spin is an inefficient spin. If you turned it into either 12-6 or 6-12 you'd have a pitch that deceives the batter much better. 4 seam fastball in baseball=riseball in softball. It's not about angle of the pitch but about spin and apin axis deceiving the batter.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I dont think it is fair to say that a 4 seam fastball doesnt move. Or that pitchers dont care how much spin is on it. Or that a 2 seamer moves more(it just moves differently) I think the sticky stuff was just as much(or more) for the fastball as for breaking balls. Movement should really be thought as how much the pitch deceives the batter.

For example Justin Verlanders fastball dropped ~10 inches less than it would in a vacuum(thx spin). His curveball(WHICH LOOKS LIKE IT BREAKS ABOUT 3 FEET) actually only drops about 7 inches more than it would in a vacuum considering gravity. That doesnt count horizontal movement but the idea that a 4 seam fastball is a straight pitch or only tails is not really getting the whole picture.

EDIT: To bring it back to softball, bullet spin is an inefficient spin. If you turned it into either 12-6 or 6-12 you'd have a pitch that deceives the batter much better. 4 seam fastball in baseball=riseball in softball. It's not about angle of the pitch but about spin and apin axis deceiving the batter.

Show me where I said a 4 seam fastball doesn’t move or that they don’t care about the spin? Point was you can change movement by only changing grip and they can both be called fastballs…that was it.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
Show me where I said a 4 seam fastball doesn’t move or that they don’t care about the spin? Point was you can change movement by only changing grip and they can both be called fastballs…that was it.

"on a pitch which you throw like a fastball (eg you are not trying to impart any sort of spin to get the ball to curve or drop more or not drop as much)"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67