3rd base coaching mistakes at CWS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
There were some errors by 3B coaches at Oklahoma City.

1) The UCLA coach failed to hold a runner at 3B on a flyball to centerfield. So, the runner went down the line about 2/3, and had to return when the ball was caught.
2) Ralph Weekly, coach for Tennessee, made a similar mistake when the girl took off for home on the flyball to left center.
3) Then, at a 14U game, the defense left 3B uncovered on a bunt. The runner turned at 1B stopped after rounding 2B, and then tried to take 3B anyway. The coach should have either been telling her to come on or to stop.

In all the situations, it was the same thing--the 3B coach was too busy watching the game rather than doing his/her job.

Jan 15, 2009
1) Dumb move runner
2) Dumb move runner
3) Dumb move runner (but at 14U you get to make mistakes)

No replacement for smart baserunning. If there is a coaching fault here it is in not working on baserunning.

1) Didn't see how deep this one was, assuming it's deep enough to attempt a tag up home there shouldn't be a player playing college softball that doesn't know to tag up on that play, wait for the catch and score, or wait for the drop and score they both count the same. If it's shallow enough in CF that they won't be able to tag up and score, then they should be far enough down the line to possibly score if it's dropped, but close enough to 3B to get back if it's caught.

2) Saw this one, caught at the fence, 0 outs, fly ball, runner absolutely has to be sure this ball is on the ground, because she can advance on the catch to 3B easily and depending on how quickly they fielded the ball if it dropped may even score.. She lowered her head and ran for home, no sign the she even looked for the third base coach. 3rd Base coach would be doing their job by watching the result of the catch / no catch and how quickly the ball is coming in and signaling to the runner to go for home or stay on 3. Shouldn't have to be looking at the runner on a fly ball with 0 outs and telling her to tag up.

Mar 13, 2010
1) The UCLA coach failed to hold a runner at 3B on a flyball to centerfield. So, the runner went down the line about 2/3, and had to return when the ball was caught.
2) Ralph Weekly, coach for Tennessee, made a similar mistake when the girl took off for home on the flyball to left center.

Sorry both of these are runner errors. Should the coach have been yelling at them to get back? Sure. But the FIRST thing any player over the age of 10 should know, is when the ball it hit high, TAG UP. Its basic softball knowledge.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Snotz...the flyball was very deep, and it was a diving catch on top of it. If the outfielder didn't catch it, the runner could walk in. If the outfielder caught it, she could still walk in.

And, if it is "basic softball knowledge", then how come the girls don't know it? Who is supposed to be teaching them? The *COACH* perhaps?

Mar 13, 2010
And, if it is "basic softball knowledge", then how come the girls don't know it? Who is supposed to be teaching them? The *COACH* perhaps?

I'd blame every coach they'd ever had. Its basic, basic, basic. I question how they got to D1 without knowing that when the ball is hit on a fly, they tag up. I've never played to the level they're at, but if my U12s team knows to do it, then these girls should to.

Jan 15, 2009
I absolutely agree that it is a sign of a poorly coached player with regards to baserunning( or more likely just a mental lapse by the player brought on by the excitement of being in the WCWS ). It's just not a game time fault of the 3rd base coach. Last time I checked they can't grab the players jersey and hold them on the base. Most baserunning errors I see involve player doing the opposite of what 3rd Base coach is yelling for them to do because they are situationally deaf and blind in a moment of panic.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06