3-Pitch Inning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
So happy DD just did it in her a tournament last week...

Several nights before, we watched a baseball game, and the announcer was talking about a 3-pitch inning. He said it happened in MLB about once a year. Yet, it's not easy to do. We explained to DD what that meant, and said we will probably never see it in youth softball...

That weekend, she pitched to a team where the players could hit, but it's early in the season, so many girls were probably not used to girl-pitch yet. It's 10U afterall. Toward the end of the game, DD pitched 3 pitches, and they were either weak ground ball or pop fly where every one of them was an easy catch. When the inning ended, it dawned on me that it was a 3-pitch inning. :cool:

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I think it was 1st year 12U, big tournament, Anna's pitching coach came to watch her pitch, First inning she struck out the side, she walked back to the dugout with her chest all bowed out expecting her PC to high five or fist bump her......he looked her dead in the eyes and said "now go out there and get 3 outs with 3 pitches and then we'll talk!!" I still remember laughing at her, talk about busting her bubble!! Congrats to your DD, that's awesome.

Sep 6, 2015
Congrats, that always cool to see. DD had a run of 5 consecutive outs on 5 pitches in HS this year. After the first 3 we couldn’t believe the coach didn’t make the batter take a pitch. It definitely helps with the pitch count.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Sadly our team was on the other side of that. 5 pitches and 5 outs. Finally our 6th batter didn’t swing at the first pitch which was a ball :/. We all cheered ;)

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
As a pitcher's dad, I used to think the 9-pitch-3-strikeout inning was the best. But now, I like the 3-pitch inning better (quicker, lower pitch count, & more team involvement). And as a third base coach, I do give the take sign after a 2-pitch-2-out start to an inning.

Beeg - Congrats to your DD.

Jun 11, 2013
We had one once at 10U PU said 2 minutes left at bottom of inning and we got the other team out on 3 pitches so had to play another inning (we still won but a ball or 2 would have made it easier)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is one of DD's favorite things about pitching. She has never been a strike out phenom, so she appreciates having a solid defense behind her. She has done it several times and is as proud of those 3 pitch innings as any other stat on her resume. Congratulations to your DD!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi