2 strike swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I tell my daughter point blank she can hit any pitcher any pitch on any count,she has put in thousands of swings, working on her mech. and never back down to any pitcher,it is your box,your field,your sport,thats your ball put it where you want and take someones head off with it!!!!!!:cool: My point, is if you want to just make contact thats fine, but hitting is violent,and I would not send her in to a fight with pillows on her hands.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Just to throw this out there to make you think! How did the baseball players do against Jenni Finch pitching from 43 feet! Would pitching make a difference is softball over baseball. Are the bats different and how you use them wood vs composite ? Be careful when you read what someone did in one sport and not look at how each are played.

Not sure what you are suggesting here. Perhaps you can get more specific and tell us exactly how the fastpitch swing should differ from the baseball swing. Maybe tell us how the physics of hitting a round ball with a round bat in fastpitch, is different than hitting a round ball with a round bat in baseball.

Yes the bats in baseball and fastpitch are different. Wood bats typically do not come in anything less than a -3, because you can't get good wood below that. Composites can go down to -13. Both bats are round however, and both have a handle and a barrel. Also, some of the bigger players in fastpitch have been known to use slow pitch bats to get more weight; and many players use end weighted bats. So it seems to me, that as the women's swings get more efficient, some are opting for heavier, end loaded bats. IOW they are moving more in the direction of a wood bat than they are in the direction of a -13 light weight bat that the younger kids use in 10U or 12U.

How do you think Finch would do against men fastpitch hitters from New Zealand, Australia or the US? Do you think there is a chance that the reason the MLB players had trouble hitting Finch was because their timing is set-up for 60'-6" rather than 43'? Are you suggesting that Bonds couldn't hit Finch with his mechanics if he practiced hitting from 43' for a few months? How come more and more FP players are studying the MLB swing and trying to copy it? Why do fastpitch players study Ted Williams. Why do the swings of so many FP players today look like the swings of MLB players?

Jan 25, 2011
Wellphyt,I find that in my area,most of the coaches in Rec ,TB & HS.Still feel that there is a softball swing and a baseball swing.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Wellphyt,I find that in my area,most of the coaches in Rec ,TB & HS.Still feel that there is a softball swing and a baseball swing.

I know what you are saying. I still hear it some in my area as well. We have a local fastpitch message board and every once in a while someone will ask if the the two swings should be different. The responses are usually 100% on the side of there being no difference. The board is dominated by travel coaches, so I would say that there are a good percentage of travel coaches in my area that believe there is no difference. We played in a big tournament this weekend, and I saw several players with really nice swings. I'm seeing more and more players who perform a sequence and get themselves in a good ready to hit position.

Here is a link to an audio interview with former Big Leaguer Todd Greene about the baseball and softball swing.
EC Bullets Archives | EC Bullets

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Please no on the split grip. First of all, I hate choking up, sign of being scared and trust me with adults calling pitches, you are dead meat. Second, a split grip will certainly ruin your hit (leave that to the slappers who are on the left side). The bats are too short and too light as it is, and you want more? The girls can beat you up with curve balls, drops, etc., and you want to give them all these pitches?

The choking up and split grips stiffen the swing and you look like a you are up there with a hatchet and no range of motion. I have never seen it work against a good pitcher!

No thanks. My players never choked up, and although we lost some games, our run productions was right up there on the u-trip stats.

Shorter or no stride is better.

Agree with no split grip in games.

My DD never chokes up, however I am very interested in knowing why a batter who chokes up 1/2" - 1" with two strikes would be dead meat. Do you think Ty Cobb, who choked up all the time was scared?:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild