2 rule questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
#1, when slapping or drag bunting from the left with 2 strikes if you foul off strike 3 are you out?

#2, ball hit to the outfield on the ground, outfielder running at the ball stops it with her foot. What is the rule? This happend last weekend and nothing was called, I was told that it is a blocked ball and should be a two base award for all baserunners. I read through and the blocked ball part is true but it says nothing about blocking it with your foot, only being blocked by "loose equipment". Don't think this comes up much but thought it was interesting.

Thanks,
Mike

Jun 22, 2008
#1, if it is a bunt attempt, yes, the batter is out for fouling a ball on 3rd strike. It is the umpires judgement as to if it was a bunt attempt or a slap attempt.

#2, is nothing. Player can use any part of their body to field the ball as long as they dont use detached equipment or uniform.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Question 1........is NO on slap, yes on bunt/drag. Umpires call on a drag.

I'm not an UMP, but question 2??? What would be the difference in a fielder blocking/knocking down a hard ground shot with any part of her body? I've never seen a 'blocked ball' call. I have seen a 'trapped ball' call.

This is a good question. I'd like someone who has seen a blocked ball call to elaborate.

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Glove, hand, chest, knee, foot are all legal - some are just more painfull. Thrown glove, visor, rosin bag etc. are examples of loose equipment used to illegally "block balls". Don't know if its a minimum 2 base award, but believe that umpire has discretion to award more bases i.e., ball going over OF fence that gets knocked down by a tossed glover or hat should be a 4-base award.

We'll see what the experts have to say.

GM

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Read what Comp said...he is an expert! :)

The definition of "a bunt" is "a pitched ball that is intentionally tapped with the bat, slowly, within the infield". Generally, a bunt attempt involves holding the bat nearly stationary in front of the ball. A "slap" involves bringing the bat from a normal hitting position into the path of the ball- ie: there is an arcing path of the bathead to meet the ball. A "slap" and a "bunt" are two different things.

If a batter bunts foul with two strikes, she is out. If she swings or slaps the ball foul with two strikes, she isn't. It's umpire judgment if the attempt to hit the ball was a bunt, swing or slap. If an umpire uses the above guideline to make his judgment, he should be making the right call.

Whoever told you that a fielder stopping a ball with her foot should invoke the "blocked ball" rule is wrong. A fielder can knock down a ball with any part of her body or properly worn/attached equipment of uniform. A blocked ball applies to contact with the ball by players not actively involved in the play, like an on-deck batter or players from the bench outside of their dugout.

Contacting a ball with detached equipment (like a thrown glove, a removed hat or with a catcher's mask held in a hand) has various penalties. If it is a batted ball that's contacted, it's a three-base award. If it's a thrown ball from a fielder, it's a two-base award. If it's a pitch from the pitcher, it's a one-base award. If the detached equipment prevents a batted ball from being an over-the-fence home run, it's a four-base award. In all cases, the ball remains live and runners may advance further than their awarded base, with liability to be put out once they advance past it.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2008
on question #1, thanks.

on #2, I thought it sounded kind of wierd, I see MLB pitchers stretch there foot out behind them to knock the ball down.

So many different umps, so many different rule interperatations. While on the subject of bunts I would like your interperatations. Batter squares to bunt and leaves the bat out over the plate as the pitch flies by, the pitch is not in the strike zone and batter makes no attempt to bunt the ball, what is your ruling? Well call this question #4.

#5, I have never done this but what do umpires think of coaches appealing or protesting and bringing a rule book out onto the field to argue a ruling?

Thanks

Mar 15, 2010
While on the subject of bunts I would like your interperatations. Batter squares to bunt and leaves the bat out over the plate as the pitch flies by, the pitch is not in the strike zone and batter makes no attempt to bunt the ball, what is your ruling? Well call this question #4.

#5, I have never done this but what do umpires think of coaches appealing or protesting and bringing a rule book out onto the field to argue a ruling?

Thanks

#4 The rule differs by association. For example, under ASA the bat can be left in the strike zone and a strike will not be called if the batter makes no attempt and the pitch is a ball. The same is not true for NFHS which states: An attempted bunt is any non-swinging movement of the bat intended to tap the ball into play.Holding the bat in the strike zone is considered a bunt attempt. In order to take a pitch, the bat must be withdrawn – pulled backward and away from the ball.

#5 About 20 years ago a very wise coach told me, "there are two people in life you never want to shove proof you were right in their face, your wife and the umpire"

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So many different umps, so many different rule interperatations. While on the subject of bunts I would like your interperatations. Batter squares to bunt and leaves the bat out over the plate as the pitch flies by, the pitch is not in the strike zone and batter makes no attempt to bunt the ball, what is your ruling? Well call this question #4.

Personally, I think it is a ridiculous rule and one for the "lazy man" whether it be umpire or coach. The idea is to strike the ball with the bat in some manner. Why the need for an exception in this particular instance. Imagine a batter squaring to bunt (okay, very few actually "square" to bunt, but you get the idea), the pitch gets away and clears the backstop. However, because the batter was watching the ball and not thinking about getting the bat out of the way of the pitch 20' over her head, the umpire is instructed to call the pitch a strike!

To argue? That is not a good thing. You don't like a ruling and believe the umpire is wrong, protest. Period! End of story! Move on with the game.

If you tell me, "but they don't allow protest in this (fill in event here)", tough. You know that going in and have to live with it. Don't like it, find another (fill in event here) in which to play. Seem callous? Maybe, but that should not be the umpires problem.

If it is a (fill in event here) that directs the satisfaction of a rule before moving on, the book should be reviewed in a gentlemanly/lady-like manner off to the side involving BOTH coaches and umpires. Problem with this is many rules do not stand alone and trying to ascertain all the necessary information with coaches breathing down you neck isn't the easiest thing to do.

If you are real lucky, the (fill in event here) will have a UIC on site who will make an immediate ruling with both coaches involved so there is no question as to a he said/she said type of discussion.

Bottom line is to not come onto the field waving a rule book screaming at the umpire 'cause you will probably keep walking straight to the parking lot. If you think prudent, offer to show the umpire where you believe s/he errored and let the umpire decide whether to use the book or not.

Aug 2, 2008
To argue? That is not a good thing. You don't like a ruling and believe the umpire is wrong, protest. Period! End of story! Move on with the game.

agreed.

I am starting to understand the difference between a protest and an appeal. I study the rule book after every tournament to find out why the ump was looking at me like Im from mars. Don't get me wrong I don't say much to the umps, Im not one of those guys. Questionable call usually even out. I have made knowing the ASA rule book by memory my personal goal for this year.