1st in act of fielding the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Situation was:

No safety base.

Ball hit to SS who throws it to 1st.

Batter-runner runs into the 1st basemen while they were trying to catch the throw from SS.

1st basemen dropped the throw.

These are 9 and 10 YOs and the contact was not sever so the batter-runner is not going to tossed. Kind of hit the 1st basemen hard enough and at the wrong time that they dropped the ball.

Can the batter-runner be called out for interfering with the 1st basemen while in the act of fielding the ball?

I forgot to add my other question, after the contact happened which caused the fielder to drop the ball the play continued. Because of great defense the batter-runner made it to 3rd. :) Should play have been stopped after contact caused the dropped ball?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
They can but would have to do something to interfere. Where was F3 when receiving the ball? With no safety base the runner has to be able to get to the base. If F3 was standing on top of it or got pulle into the runners path by the throw I have nothing. But if the batter runner appeared to move into F3 who was not on top of the base I would probably rule interference. It is a had to be there situation and would have to see how it all played out.

As to second part of your question if it isn't ruled as interference the ball is live and in play.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Since these are 9 and 10 year olds, the first thing you should do is go complain to the tournament director about providing safety bags for their tournaments!!! Then post your rules questions on DFP and wait for Comp to provide the answers!

Mar 22, 2013
Sunny SC
In our local (inexperienced) rec league we play against another local team that has no safety or double first base at there softball fields. They have them on their baseball and Adult League fields. Our ace pitcher hits to SS and runs throught first. As the ball gets there, first base has her left leg over the base....our runner trips over her leg (not foot) falls and breaks her arm. I am screaming interference until i realize how hurt she is. This is 12U league. The year before another pitcher breaks her foot on same type of play. Broke her groth plates. We are forefiting our last game there...players and parents decided to practice a fun game and do pizza/ice cream instead of playing there.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We are forefiting our last game there...players and parents decided to practice a fun game and do pizza/ice cream instead of playing there.

If enough teams follow your lead and refuses to play that team until they install safety bags, changes will be made.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd has played hundreds of games on fields without safety bases and I have never seen anyone get hurt. Coaches need to teach the proper way of fielding first base. In some ways safety bases make teaching the proper way unnecessary. And that can be dangerous. Don't get me wrong I am not anti safety. But I am more pro proper coaching.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad