14yo DD Hitting, Feedback please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
She looks like she has lots of potential.

I don't like the barrel pointed back, as I think it weakens her swing.

She's not utilizing her hips like she could. Coiling back around that back hip sock would help.

She could benefit by incorporating some of what Cabrera is doing here...

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
Thanks Fiveframe. It's frustrating because that barrel load is something we have worked and it was like she forgot about it yesterday. I tried not to coach her to much while taking video as I wanted video of what the actual "is condition" is.

Do you see anything else beyond that? What else should she be working to fix at this point?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bandit ... what Doug is suggesting will impact other portions of the swing ... generally in a positive manner ... from the capture of swing initiation to increased body segmentation ... hence the reason that he may have reserved comment. Basically I interpreted his advice as ... "fix this and then get back to us".

I tend to agree with Doug's logic. I'll just add that I don't like "reaching" with the front leg, and would prefer to see the stride be a 'result' of the loading of the rear leg.

I see what has a good chance of being a "hitter" over a "swinger".

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
She is starting to get the tip, but it looks to me like she is releasing it early. I like to watch the angle between the front forearm and the bat. I try to keep it close to 90 degrees until launch. When she is doing the "tip" she has it, or very close. Then she releases it a little early and creates a larger angle before she launches. Show her that slow motion clip and ask her to maintain that angle a bit longer. Otherwise, she looks like she has a lot of potential.

Edit: Pause the video at 16 seconds to see the angle I like. Then pause at 18 seconds to see where the angle increased.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG