12u question about holding/checking runner

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 25, 2015
so what your saying is go for the out at 1st....take the out.....then go straight from first to home......so when the runner on 2nd makes it to 3rd, she wont even try home......right?

Dec 25, 2015
and as far as my 1st base staying on 1st on a bunt.....is only because I have that rare stud natural athlete for a pitcher....very fast and very quick......99% of pass balls are outs for us because she covers so quick

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
.99% of pass balls are outs for us because she covers so quick
Not intending to discredit anything else you said but this is an odd statement in my opinion. Usually a pass ball is a run if the catcher can't get the ball quick enough. If the pitcher is late thats usually a mistake by her

Jun 12, 2015
Not intending to discredit anything else you said but this is an odd statement in my opinion. Usually a pass ball is a run if the catcher can't get the ball quick enough. If the pitcher is late that's usually a mistake by her

I was thinking that as well. All 3 of our pitchers are all-around athletes (play 1B, SS, or 3B when not pitching) but when a passed ball (or wild pitch) is a run it's that the catcher couldn't get to it quickly enough, not because the pitcher isn't there to receive it.

Dec 25, 2015
that may be the case with your teams......but with my team experience(up until the pitcher I have now) is been that pitch hesitates or cant get there in time for when the catcher gets the ball and turns to make the toss.....the runner has been beating pitch the the plate......again this has been my experience.....i've always had a good catcher.....but this is my first year with a ace pitcher.....

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
so what your saying is go for the out at 1st. Take the out then go straight from first to home so when the runner on 2nd makes it to 3rd, she wont even try home, right?

Not sure who you're asking?

For me, I take the out they're giving me at 1st. I don't chance an overthrow at 3B, so we go back to the circle - no one is going 2nd to home on a ground out. What I meant about going home was after that: you haven't necessarily conceded a run from 3B on another grounder, and you can get the out at 1B and then go home sometimes.

Dec 25, 2015
my basic question......runner on 2nd....no outs.....ground ball pop hit up to the left of the pitcher.....3rds gets ball........where does she make the play......just wanted diff opinions....

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Yes, take the out at 1B and move on to the next batter. If the runner at 2B is the winning run, I might adjust that depending on if my pitcher is throwing a lot of ground balls.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
3rd base takes a quick look to see if the runner's advancing. If she is, then toss to 3 or throw for the out, otherwise, take the out at 1 but get at least one out. In other words, check the runner and hold her for a split second. This can give you the opportunity to possibly get the second out at 3. I'll take the out at 1 rather than have 2 possible scoring runners on base for a line drive single which it will turn out to be once you have a runner on 1st steal to 2 on the next pitch since you have a BR on 3rd and the catcher won't throwdown at the lower levels.

Last edited: