12U Coaches: A poll about how many errors are acceptable

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
This is a hard one ot answer because different situations call for different actions. It has always been about effort and the willingness to push through an error. If a kid makes an error or two it really depends on their attitude. If they are busting their butt and trying to make plays but just make a mistake they definitely get more chances. If they want to pout and not let it go the rope is very short.

Feb 14, 2014
I should have stated that i was talking about replacing them the next time they took the field. For example, if SS or 1B made 4+ errors in an inning, would you replace them the next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 17, 2012
I should have stated that i was talking about replacing them the next time they took the field. For example, if SS or 1B made 4+ errors in an inning, would you replace them the next?

It depends on if they were physical or mental errors. Yes on the mental errors, no on the physical errors.

Nov 3, 2012
I think the acceptable number of errors is a number that's less the previous games. Of course you have ups and downs and have good and bad games. I think the key is gradual improvement, not necessarily perfection.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
With my current 12U team, they get 2 mental errors. If its physical errors, they get 1. They have been told this from day 1. They will either correct the physical side of tings through practice and concentration or they will get pulled. Mentally, they need to learn to "brush it off and make the next play," or else, they will never be able to play at even higher levels. However, they all respond very well to this strategy since they have been warned from the outset.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Too many factors involved to give a definitive hard-line answer. Importance of the game, effort, experienced or new to the position, quality of sub available, attitude of player........

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2014
The game punishes kids who make errors... Ball always comes back to the kid.. we had a coach at 12u who would pull a kid after the first error.. stop the game and give the wave of death.. but she was evil. Our team now has very good fielders.. we seldom see a skill error but I'd say at 2 we would pull a kid. Maybe place back in the next innning if the errors were uncharacteristic.

Feb 3, 2011
Answer: "All of them". I don't care how many errors you've made - your team needs you to make the next play.

Exception: If a player is dehydrated or hypoglycemic, etc. then yes, you make the change. But apart from anything health-related, allow them to work through it. Remember, game situations mirror life situations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles