10YO DD Batting Practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Here is a video of a few swings from my 10YO DD's most recent batting practice. We continue to work on a couple things. Firstly, is the coil or load the rear hip. Second is keeping the hands from dropping and instead turning the barrel behind her and the hand pivot point. I see very little separation at this point. As always, it is a work in progress. Please give me any feedback or drills that you see necessary. Thanks in advance.

10-8-13 - YouTube

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Overall, it's not a bad swing for a 10yo, and there's a lot of good things going on there. The biggest issue I see is that her hands are leading the swing instead of her rear hip. Because of this, her rear hip is being pulled forward by the upper body and isn't really contributing much power. This is also resulting in the rear leg just spinning (bug squishing). The rear hip needs to be driven forward - fast and hard. Personally, I prefer to see a stride, but there are plenty of successful hitters that don't stride.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is basically a “bend at the waist” approach to ‘leveling’, and then spinning to swing.

The swing lacks a proper sequence ..... start by capturing a proper sequence.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
can anyone post a clip of a 9-10 year old that they consider to be "great" for the age? I think this one is right there. Sure it needs improvement in the coil, hip action etc. but to my eye this is one of the best I have seen for the age and I think as she develops a lot of the sequence stuff will kind of naturally develop as she grows and gets more powerful. I think we all, myself included, tend to get into a mindset of trying to coach to perfection when in reality, each player needs to discover some things on their own and our job is to get the framework in place and let them fill in some of the picture on their own.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is this a pretty good swing for a 10yo? Hell, yes.
Can it me made even better? Hell, yes.

My DD has a teammate that looks a lot like this - good looking upper body, but no lower-half power contribution because the hands and arm are dominating the swing.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
can anyone post a clip of a 9-10 year old that they consider to be "great" for the age? I think this one is right there. Sure it needs improvement in the coil, hip action etc. but to my eye this is one of the best I have seen for the age and I think as she develops a lot of the sequence stuff will kind of naturally develop as she grows and gets more powerful. I think we all, myself included, tend to get into a mindset of trying to coach to perfection when in reality, each player needs to discover some things on their own and our job is to get the framework in place and let them fill in some of the picture on their own.

28jgob4.gif
2mg4m1f.gif

10 Y/O
jack-at-9-o1.gif

9 Y/O
23r5mk8.gif

Different hitter 8 Y/O
Not 'great' hitters but, pretty good.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
nice...but I bet he has trouble with offspeed stuff...just sayin.

off topic- but the upright barrel and dropping into the slot while sizing up the pitch move is what I was talking about in the other thread.

gif changer!!!

The second round looks better...how about a FP swing in there?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback thus far. I agree the lower half is not there at all. But like I said, a work in progress. The bend at the waist 'leveling' that was mentioned used to be really bad. She has gotten a lot better but it is still bad. She is small for her age at only 4'2" and 62 lbs. However, she depends on her speed and quickness to get a lot of hits. Almost always leads her TB team in OBP%, SB, and Runs. She is also a very good bunter.

We will start working on sequencing the swing better. Are there any swing thoughts or drills to help with this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad