10u rec/LL rady for signs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Hmmm... just out of curiosity, I assume LL means Little League? As far as I know, Bunting and Stealing are not allowed in the "Minor" division.....as least not here in PA. If it's not LL, or you have a local rule that overrides the LL rule and allows it....I say absolutely do it. Even if it's for NO OTHER REASON than to teach them to step out of the batters box and LOOK AT THE 3RD BASE COACH after every pitch. My first year of coaching LL Major division, I couldn't get them to look down the line, never mind know what the hell it meant if I slid my hand across my chest, or touched my ear.

yes, it is little league, was unaware of any rule against stealing in minors (only requirement is runners cannot leave until ball crosses the plate).

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Great story...one of my buddies was coaching little league baseball and he was calling pitching. He kept using his fingers and arms giving all kinds of signs and motions. I finally had to ask him what pitches he was calling. Apparently his pitcher only had two pitches, a fastball and a change up. If he was sitting up straight it was a fastball, if he was leaning against the fence it was a change up....I will never forget that life lesson. KISS!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Did something similar a few weeks ago. Played a team that knew my pitching signals which I freely admit are far from complex and have not changed in over a decade. I sat on the bucket giving various signals and they never did figure out that my #1 catcher who was playing 3rd base was actually calling the pitches. :)

Jun 12, 2015
Did something similar a few weeks ago. Played a team that knew my pitching signals which I freely admit are far from complex and have not changed in over a decade. I sat on the bucket giving various signals and they never did figure out that my #1 catcher who was playing 3rd base was actually calling the pitches. :)

Love it!!!

May 6, 2015
anyone comment on frozenrope's reply regarding stealing and bunting in minors (softball)? Is it permitted or not, we have always done it in minors, albeit with some limitations

3 total per inning

no advancing on overthrow on attempt to throw out a runner stealing (to encourage coaches to have catchers make throw for experience purposes)

no stealing home for first half of season, after that only once per inning

May 27, 2013
Hmmm... just out of curiosity, I assume LL means Little League? As far as I know, Bunting and Stealing are not allowed in the "Minor" division.....as least not here in PA. If it's not LL, or you have a local rule that overrides the LL rule and allows it....I say absolutely do it. Even if it's for NO OTHER REASON than to teach them to step out of the batters box and LOOK AT THE 3RD BASE COACH after every pitch. My first year of coaching LL Major division, I couldn't get them to look down the line, never mind know what the hell it meant if I slid my hand across my chest, or touched my ear.

Both bunting and stealing are allowed in LL Minors Division in PA.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Stealing home I am not thrilled with, if it is once an inning I would be worried it wasn’t practiced enough and it can be a dangerous play to begin with. If the defense is struggling it is nice to get the bases stacked up so you can get an out at any base.

JMO

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
will be coaching 10u rec/LL, with a mix of 8-10 yr olds, with a wide range of skill level, and also a fairly widespread range of passion for game, awareness of the game, etc.

This almost perfectly describes the team I coached at that level. I started using rudimentary signs from the very beginning, but I kept them very basic; belt = bunt, sleeve = steal, hat = hit away, etc. We did this almost entirely during the first year. We rapidly learned which coaches were trying to steal the signs, so we made some adjustments. In many cases it was by giving a second signal that would either confirm or cancel the original signal. As an example, the third base coach would give the primary signs; belt for bunt. I was the first base coach and would do one of two things. I would either cheer for the hitter using their number "Here we go 10, you got it 10", meaning proceed with the sign. Or I would cheer for the hitter using their name "Here we go Sally, you got it Sally", meaning disregard the sign and swing away. I never had another coach pick up on this that I am aware of. You also quickly learn which players this will work with, and which will have trouble.

Dec 17, 2015
Chesapeake, VA
A simple hand across the bill of the cap was for stealing. I basically stole on every pitch unless the catcher had a gun. The girls knew this. After the third missed sign I normally yell out you are stealing on this pitch! Works and everyone gets a chuckle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06