10U Outfield Positioning.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
10U, so we have four outfielders and don't play a short fielder. Where does everyone go on a hit to right center or a hit to third base. I'm looking for what positions the players should be moving to back-up or cut off. I know how it's done in baseball with three outfielders, but I'm not sure about where all four out fielders go to postion themselves on everyplay. Or does one outfielder just back up the other outfielder depending on where the ball is hit. Thanks for any input.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Wow. In that case, since the catcher is the only one allowed to stand in foul territory at the beginning of a pitch, at 10U I would plug the holes in the infield rather than waste that player in the outfield. Or is this a local rule that says the 10th fielder has to be in the outfield grass?

Jan 21, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We had four outfielders in one of our local rec 10u leagues. Each fielder had to be 15 feet behind the bases, so no short fielder. We would put the right fielder directly behind first base for backing up throws, right center just to the left of the second baseman, the left center just to the right of shortstop and left field a few steps to the right of third base. Since there was no stealing home, you can shift the outfielders over an not worry about backing up the throw to third on a steal. The left center outfielder would backup throws to second on steals. If you put a girl in right center field with a good accurate arm, you can throw a lot of hitters out at first if the ball gets by the second baseman.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes