Loading

Talk to Other Fastpitch Softball Fanatics ... for FREE!

Register today and get the uncensored, and yes, the sometimes uncomfortable truth from real softball fanatics who live and die on the softball fields.
Signup to Discuss FastPitch Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Can this Happen?

  1. #1
    Pro-Staff Everything WARRIORMIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    At the Jewel in San Diego
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    941
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 690 Posts

    Unhappy Can this Happen?

    One of our players got sick over the weekend, so she was contemplating about showing up to games this weekend because she was authentically sick. She did make it to games this past weekend and she got thru it. However she was not going to show up to our following weekend tourney because of a family affair, which was already scheduled a while back with coaches and made the agreement that she wasn't going to be there the following weekend.

    Well this player got verballed/committed to a college and paperwork is getting started. Our travel ball team mom said that if she doesn't play that past weekend while she was sick then she is going to tell her future college coach about her being uncommitted to the team and not being a team player. So can a travel team really ruin a scholarship or can I call this teams mom bluff?
    I got your softballs

  2. #2
    It wasn't me. rdbass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Not here.
    Posts
    7,592
    Thanks
    2,214
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,892 Posts

    Default

    I don't know sh!t from shinola!

  3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rdbass For This Useful Post:

    BobInMadison (12-05-2017), CoachJD (12-06-2017), CPEM (12-06-2017), gamommax3 (12-05-2017), Josh Greer (12-06-2017), Me_and_my_big_mouth (12-05-2017), riseball (12-05-2017), WARRIORMIKE (12-05-2017), YOCOACH (12-06-2017)

  4. #3
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball quincy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,576
    Thanks
    2,423
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,362 Posts

    Default

    I would stay out of it unless it becomes real. I have been on this board too long and know I am not Allowed to name call or swear.

    Gook luck.

  5. #4
    Certified softball maniac GunnerShotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,686
    Thanks
    731
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 535 Posts

    Default

    I would remove the team mom from having anything to do with the team in any capacity. If she protests or does not comply I would remove the team mom's daughter from the team.

    One of the reasons to play travel ball is to get recruited to play in college. You don't need anyone playing defense against your team.

    To answer your question if the college coach knows what he is doing he will not pay any attention to what crazy team mom has to say. If the college coach puts any credence to this you don't want to be playing for him/her anyways.

  6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GunnerShotgun For This Useful Post:

    CoachJD (12-06-2017), Eric F (12-05-2017), FP26 (12-05-2017), grounded (12-05-2017), JAD (12-12-2017), Me_and_my_big_mouth (12-05-2017), pumpkinbear (12-05-2017), riseball (12-05-2017), YOCOACH (12-06-2017)

  7. #5
    witty softball quote Me_and_my_big_mouth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Posts
    437
    Thanks
    885
    Thanked 432 Times in 201 Posts

    Default

    I haven't been on the boards in months, then I jump on for a sec and see this. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? Tell her to eat a Snickers or something.

    I am so irrationally angry with this Mom I don't even know.

    I have to think that a college coach is going to give very little credence to some Mean Girls B.S. that just makes the Mom look awful.

    Tell Regina George Hi for me.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Never, ever say, "Calm down - it's just a game" to softball parents.

  8. #6
    Always learning... Eric F's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,625
    Thanks
    4,754
    Thanked 5,680 Times in 2,944 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerShotgun View Post
    I would remove the team mom from having anything to do with the team in any capacity. If she protests or does not comply I would remove the team mom's daughter from the team.

    One of the reasons to play travel ball is to get recruited to play in college. You don't need anyone playing defense against your team.

    To answer your question if the college coach knows what he is doing he will not pay any attention to what crazy team mom has to say. If the college coach puts any credence to this you don't want to be playing for him/her anyways.
    THIS!! ^^^

    It seems to me that having a player on your team committing to play college ball is a reason to celebrate. Based on the information presented, it sounds like she might have the wrong attitude for someone in any kind of team leadership role. Is the team mom envious that another kid committed and hers didn't?
    A TB parent's life...Drive. Write checks. Eat tacos.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric F For This Useful Post:

    gamommax3 (12-05-2017), YOCOACH (12-06-2017)

  10. #7
    Certified softball maniac BobInMadison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Madison, WI, working in SF Cali
    Posts
    2,120
    Thanks
    840
    Thanked 1,265 Times in 724 Posts

    Default

    A wise person once said, you get to see a person's true character in competition.

    That applies to crazy team mom as well.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to BobInMadison For This Useful Post:

    YOCOACH (12-06-2017)

  12. #8
    Checking out the clubhouse gamommax3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    72
    Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WARRIORMIKE View Post
    One of our players got sick over the weekend, so she was contemplating about showing up to games this weekend because she was authentically sick. She did make it to games this past weekend and she got thru it. However she was not going to show up to our following weekend tourney because of a family affair, which was already scheduled a while back with coaches and made the agreement that she wasn't going to be there the following weekend.

    Well this player got verballed/committed to a college and paperwork is getting started. Our travel ball team mom said that if she doesn't play that past weekend while she was sick then she is going to tell her future college coach about her being uncommitted to the team and not being a team player. So can a travel team really ruin a scholarship or can I call this teams mom bluff?
    Let me interject with a few questions here. Does this player have a history of not showing up to practices, games, and tournaments? Has she been with the team a while or is she new? Is team mom the coach or the recruiting coordinator, meaning does she have some sway with the college coach?

    This threat seems absolutely ridiculous and like jealousy rearing it's ugly head. I would sincerely hope that the college coach puts absolutely no stock in what she says. But your question was can she call and tell them that and possibly hurt her scholarship. The answer is yes. Travel ball coaches and recruiting coordinators build relationships with these college coaches, and they can help/hurt players chances of getting committed to a program. So if she has built a relationship with the college coach, then she could possibly hurt this poor girl's chances of signing with this verbally committed college in the future. Hopefully this girl has in email somewhere that this family time was pre-approved. And hopefully she has shown previously that she IS a committed, loyal player to her team.
    Coach's wife and #7's mom

  13. #9
    Pro-Staff Everything WARRIORMIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    At the Jewel in San Diego
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanks
    941
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 690 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamommax3 View Post
    Let me interject with a few questions here. Does this player have a history of not showing up to practices, games, and tournaments? Has she been with the team a while or is she new? Is team mom the coach or the recruiting coordinator, meaning does she have some sway with the college coach?
    We've been with the team for only a few months now. The team mom does not have a dd on team neither does the manager. Head coach, yes. For the most part this girl has a good track record for showing up to games, practice, etc. Even extra games to help out teams of same organization.

    My daughter overheard the conversation with a another girl on team. Mom of this dd was legitimately mad of course.
    I got your softballs

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to WARRIORMIKE For This Useful Post:

    gamommax3 (12-05-2017)

  15. #10
    I eat, sleep and breathe softball quincy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,576
    Thanks
    2,423
    Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,362 Posts

    Default

    If I would get involved, it sounds like you like player, I would send a letter stating what a good person she is. I would not reference other parent at all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Segment -- Burn -- Conversion --