Your experience with extended summer travel spans (2weeks +)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2010
Hey, just a few pointers as we have done this with our motorhome. Be prepared for total disaster to be left by girls. No matter how many times we have done this with our motorhome, it generally ends up the same. Some have been better than others...some worse. No matter the rules were laid out at the beginning. They will not treat the motorhome like it is yours...they will treat it like it is theirs. They stand on couches and beds, they will use all the water in your holding tank, there will be trash in the oddest places, food will find its' way in places you didn't know existed, and be prepared for something to get broken. No matter how many times you tell them, it always happens. We have had brokend molding, screens, a door...etc. Leave your shoes outside when at the tournament. There will be "stuff" on the carpet, whether it is food, drinks, dirt....We have loved sharing our motorhome all these years, but it takes a toll on you and your rig. My suggestion would be to take the MH to the tournaments, but to have them all ride together over the entire trip is going to be tough. Once the slides are in the space is very limited and girls are all over the place. Generator will run non-stop as they will watch movies and charge phones and ipads. If it were just a weekend, wouldn't be a big deal. Just my past experiences and my opinion!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Catchermom, I have to wonder where they are all going to sit. My mother's large motorhome, has a driver and passenger captains seat and a VERY uncomfortable couch. You can put a lawn chair in, at your own risk, which makes riding more comfortable, but that means there are seats for about 7 people at the most.

Dec 7, 2011
Ya I bet there is allot of risk on the guy who owns the RV. I know him and he IS a really nice guy and he did do this to a single tourney before so he's got to know what he is getting into.

Note - I don't think I would want to live in the house my DD would "keep-up"... ;-)

Ya with the "slides" in place for travel I gott believe it's pretty cramped,...at least for 11 full grown players!

Looking at the floor plan I could guess cycling the girls through the different locations in the motorhome (2-3 on the queen bad, 3-4 in the dining table, 2 on the sofa, and one in the passenger seat, 2 in the bunk over the cockpit). So I guess it can be done.

Anyways ya get the picture.

Jul 26, 2010
I have to wonder at the logic of the coach/manager.

I'm assuming the reason for travel is to play at either national championships (ASA/PGF) and/or huge showcases. There would be top-notch competition at these games. How does the coach/manager think these girls will maintain a competitive edge sleeping crammed in a box for 2 weeks on end, vs. girls who have slept in a hotel.

The point of playing championships and showcases is to play well, not just to show up.

-W

Feb 1, 2010
Amy, seating is difficult at best! We have girls on the bed in the back, girls on the bunks, in the dinette and on the couches and not to mention on the floor. It's very, very cramped.

Dec 7, 2011
I have to wonder at the logic of the coach/manager.

I'm assuming the reason for travel is to play at either national championships (ASA/PGF) and/or huge showcases. There would be top-notch competition at these games. How does the coach/manager think these girls will maintain a competitive edge sleeping crammed in a box for 2 weeks on end, vs. girls who have slept in a hotel.

The point of playing championships and showcases is to play well, not just to show up.

-W

YES! - I align with yer comments here - but only based on one instance we were involved with where the girls with tight boyfriends just mind-exited the team after the first week. Geesh that sucked that last ASA nationals where we got absolutely embarassed..... (5 yrs ago now)

Jun 7, 2011
Central Iowa
Where do they plan on storing all the luggage and equipment. Unless your under-body storage compartments run the width of the vehicle, that's going to take up substantial cabin space.

I took my family of six to Colorado this past summer in our 34' Winnie; it seemed like we were climbing all over each other all week. I was about ready to pull a Shawshank after the first 48 hrs. Good luck!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Sometimes, even with a school van, someone had to follow behind with an SUV full of the equipment. And then, all of that has to be unpacked and lugged into the hotel, or it will be stolen over night.

How would money be handled? If your DD spent $20.00 a day, she is going to need to carry over $300.00.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1