You'll never be a (fill in the blank)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Jquick.....that story and what the guy said, I must commend you. Not sure what you turned and said to him, but his comment would have landed a lot of dads in jail for busting him in the mouth. Probably a blow hard idiot living through his daughter's accomplishments.

My dd's high school team was just at an away game this past week, and the other team hit a few foul balls in the area of first base. Our first basemen was out all of last year with a blown out knee that required surgery. She is wearing a large brace that affects mobility. After the second ball falls in the area of the dugout, some guy from the other school sitting behind me in the bleachers says loud enough for everyone to hear "well now we know why she is hidden on first base...she sucks" Not my dd, so I didn't say anything, and her dad was not in the area, but I did turn around and give him a dirty look so he had least knew it was not appreciated. My question for something like this.....maybe it is true, and she really can't move that well, but why does a grown man feel the need to announce to everyone around him that a high school girl "sucks"?

I really agree with the person above who said "some people suck"

Jun 13, 2010
Not sure if this is the right post to put this but here it is. The former HS head coach was far and away thee worst coach I and many others ever saw. He was about as negative a human as I have ever encountered. The majority of girls that ever played for him have an absolute hatred of him, I mean they really hate him still, it was that bad. He did travel teams at one time in another area and they all feel the same as well I guess. But you know what? he taught me a real important lesson...... Don't be like him!!!!

Now I am far from being what I consider a GOOD coach but so far all my girls either like me or are just good enough kids to act like they are really trying. And they are getting better every week. I feel for any girl that has to deal with some of the Coaches that are out there.

Jun 12, 2015
Jquick.....that story and what the guy said, I must commend you. Not sure what you turned and said to him, but his comment would have landed a lot of dads in jail for busting him in the mouth. Probably a blow hard idiot living through his daughter's accomplishments.

My dd's high school team was just at an away game this past week, and the other team hit a few foul balls in the area of first base. Our first basemen was out all of last year with a blown out knee that required surgery. She is wearing a large brace that affects mobility. After the second ball falls in the area of the dugout, some guy from the other school sitting behind me in the bleachers says loud enough for everyone to hear "well now we know why she is hidden on first base...she sucks" Not my dd, so I didn't say anything, and her dad was not in the area, but I did turn around and give him a dirty look so he had least knew it was not appreciated. My question for something like this.....maybe it is true, and she really can't move that well, but why does a grown man feel the need to announce to everyone around him that a high school girl "sucks"?

I really agree with the person above who said "some people suck"
Exactly, even if it is true, an adult has no business saying something like that.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I have one…

I was in the midst of a slump over the last week and one of our better power hitters before the game told me that I would never be a great hitter, that my swing was all wrong and a bunch of other stuff. I thought to myself that I would prove her wrong. Our coach made a lineup change before the game. Normally I bat 7th but she moved me up to 5th. My first at bat, I got a rise ball that had no rise… just sat in the middle of the plate. BLAM! HOME RUN! Second at bat, I came up with two on no outs in the 4th. I got a fastball middle in… BLAM! ANOTHER HOME RUN! In the 6th I come up for my third at bat with the bases loaded and 1 out. I got a change up slightly low and away. CLANG! Hit a three run double and reached third on a throwing error. The girl that said that I couldn't hit looked at me, defeated and said… you know I was ribbing you, right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 12, 2015
I have one…

I was in the midst of a slump over the last week and one of our better power hitters before the game told me that I would never be a great hitter, that my swing was all wrong and a bunch of other stuff. I thought to myself that I would prove her wrong. Our coach made a lineup change before the game. Normally I bat 7th but she moved me up to 5th. My first at bat, I got a rise ball that had no rise… just sat in the middle of the plate. BLAM! HOME RUN! Second at bat, I came up with two on no outs in the 4th. I got a fastball middle in… BLAM! ANOTHER HOME RUN! /B] In the 6th I come up for my third at bat with the bases loaded and 1 out. I got a change up slightly low and away. CLANG! Hit a three run double and reached third on a throwing error. The girl that said that I couldn't hit looked at me, defeated and said… you know I was ribbing you, right.

Love it! Sucks to have a teammate say something like that but you definitely showed her :D

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
"You'll never be a starting pitcher for this HS team." said the HS coach to our #2 pitcher. The starting pitcher is a Senior this year and #2 is a Junior. #2 is actually better than #1, but being the Senior and having Dad as President of the Booster club and Mom as VP, well, you get the picture. #2 transferred schools over the Winter. She's now the starting pitcher for the new school and quite honestly, would beat the much larger HS team she came from 8 out of 10 times. In the meantime, our team now has a huge hole at SS since this kid was a vacuum with a cannon when not in the circle and our new #2 is a Freshman rec ball pitcher that lacks speed, control and has 2 pitches, a FB and a CU which is more of a slow pitch lob than an actual pitch. Next year, when the team would have had 8 Senior high level TB players on the field including the former #2 and should have been able to make a run at states, they will have 7, a rec ball pitcher that only practices right before the season starts and is going to be a very long season for us.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have one…

I was in the midst of a slump over the last week and one of our better power hitters before the game told me that I would never be a great hitter, that my swing was all wrong and a bunch of other stuff. I thought to myself that I would prove her wrong. Our coach made a lineup change before the game. Normally I bat 7th but she moved me up to 5th. My first at bat, I got a rise ball that had no rise… just sat in the middle of the plate. BLAM! HOME RUN! Second at bat, I came up with two on no outs in the 4th. I got a fastball middle in… BLAM! ANOTHER HOME RUN! /B] In the 6th I come up for my third at bat with the bases loaded and 1 out. I got a change up slightly low and away. CLANG! Hit a three run double and reached third on a throwing error. The girl that said that I couldn't hit looked at me, defeated and said… you know I was ribbing you, right.

Way to go, Softgabby! Maybe you should offer your teammate some pointers on her swing mechanics. ;)

Or...make sure she criticizes your swing before every game. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors