You only need 3 pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
While I am not a huge fan of Michelle Smith, she did make a good point during the TN v WA game that the male pitching coaches are going back to teaching you only need 3 pitches: rise ball, drop ball, and change up. You agree or disagree?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Yes, but it is more complicated than that. Michelle Smith and Cat Osterman "had" a drop and a rise. "Having a pitch" means that you can (1) locate the pitch anywhere around the plate and (2) change speeds with the pitch. Few pitchers can do that with the fastball, let alone a breaking pitch.

If you watch the pitchers and also watch the "flight path" that gets displayed, you are going to see very few 'real' curves or screws. When they show the super slow motion of the ball, zone in on the spin.

The announcer was talking about Renfroe's great screw. They showed it in slow motion, and it didn't move right to left (from the perspective of the catcher). The spin was clearly 6 to 12. So, she really threw was a chest high inside rise. Great pitch.

The problem I see over and over is that Daddies want their kid to be able to throw all kinds of different pitches and never take the time for the kid to perfect *one* pitch.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
Yes, but it is more complicated than that. Michelle Smith and Cat Osterman "had" a drop and a rise. "Having a pitch" means that you can (1) locate the pitch anywhere around the plate and (2) change speeds with the pitch. Few pitchers can do that with the fastball, let alone a breaking pitch.

If you watch the pitchers and also watch the "flight path" that gets displayed, you are going to see very few 'real' curves or screws. When they show the super slow motion of the ball, zone in on the spin.

The announcer was talking about Renfroe's great screw. They showed it in slow motion, and it didn't move right to left (from the perspective of the catcher). The spin was clearly 6 to 12. So, she really threw was a chest high inside rise. Great pitch.

The problem I see over and over is that Daddies want their kid to be able to throw all kinds of different pitches and never take the time for the kid to perfect *one* pitch.

In the first game today, MS and BM were calling everything a screwball. Every time a riseball was thrown, I heard it was a very effective screwball. As you stated, you could clearly see the 6-12 spin.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
You "only need" to be able to get people out. Some people do it with 3 pitches, some do it with more or fewer. Some can do it with those three, some like others better.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
While I am not a huge fan of Michelle Smith, she did make a good point during the TN v WA game that the male pitching coaches are going back to teaching you only need 3 pitches: rise ball, drop ball, and change up. You agree or disagree?

Agree: You really need only 3 quality pitches
Disagree: They have to be drop, rise, changeup.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
DD's PC told her that he feels it's best to have three pitches....rise, drop, and change. His reasoning was that a hitter had a better chance to hit a ball that moved east to west because the batter can keep the bat on the same plane with the ball. It's harder to hit a ball that doesn't stay on the same plane as the bat during a swing. (This was from Doug Gillis at one of my DD's pitching sessions)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom