Wristbands and Baserunners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 3, 2021
For those using wristbands, how are you communicating with both the batter and the runners on a single play call? I've had tremendous success using the cards for a single, simple message. It gets a little murky when trying to communicate two things at once.

Any suggestions or a communication system you've found easy enough at the 12/14u level?

Oct 14, 2020
Squares with
  1. Bunt and run
  2. Hit and run
  3. Fake bunt and steal
  4. Take and steal
  5. Whatever other combo you want
Or

The system can make room for calling to both batter and runner, or one or the other. Hard to type in a meaningful way but the number can have a key where the second number is to the runner and the third to the batter or something like that.

Jul 3, 2021
Squares with
  1. Bunt and run
  2. Hit and run
  3. Fake bunt and steal
  4. Take and steal
  5. Whatever other combo you want
Or

The system can make room for calling to both batter and runner, or one or the other. Hard to type in a meaningful way but the number can have a key where the second number is to the runner and the third to the batter or something like that.
Thanks for the quick reply! I should have mentioned that we're using Never Miss A Sign, so the targeting a specific person with a specific number position doesn't work with that system. It's a good idea for anyone not using that system though.

Oct 14, 2020
Wouldn't a NMAS card like this work for what you're looking for? Maybe I'm confused about the goal. Here, one number sends a message to both batter and runner depending on the situation. Screenshot_20240411-060936.png

4-2-4: batter, don't swing at this pitch. Runner you steal.

Jun 22, 2008
My daughter had 3 digit codes she used on her wristbands. Some codes were batter only, some were combo codes for batters and runners and some were runners only.

May 17, 2012
Wouldn't a NMAS card like this work for what you're looking for? Maybe I'm confused about the goal. Here, one number sends a message to both batter and runner depending on the situation. View attachment 29587

4-2-4: batter, don't swing at this pitch. Runner you steal.

Not only that but color code (make them a light shade of green) the ones where the baserunner is running on the play (steal, bunt and run, etc) and it makes communication so much easier.

May 17, 2012
For those using wristbands, how are you communicating with both the batter and the runners on a single play call?

some thoughts...

1. You only need to give one sign even if it doesn't apply to that batter (or baserunner).
2. Coach 1B so you can communicate directly with the runner on 1B if needed ("You are going on release" is something I say a lot. The 1B rarely says anything and it won't matter even if they do).

3. Once the runner is on 2B the 3B coach can help from there. Your 3B coach should also have a wristband so they know what's going on on every pitch/call.

4. Have a hand signal that means 'hit away/lets go/play ball/there is no sign here' that you can give so the player knows immediately that there is no sign and to just play softball. For us it's me waving my hand like I am asking them to hurry up. With two outs and a full count I don't need to call out a stupid number, just play ball.

For example if you have a runner on 2B and you want to steal you can give both the runner and batter the STL number AT THE SAME TIME. Everyone needs to be paying attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619