Would you want to know ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Just curious if as a head coach you would want to know that one of your assistant coaches , whose DD is playing on the team , has her trying out for other teams ? I am not 100% sure what is going on but I do know there has been some disagreements between this coach and our head coach so the HC knows the AC isn't happy but I think taking his DD to tryout for another team after giving a 2 year commitment is kind of BS . I just don't want to make matters worse .

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
First of all no one should be giving a two year commitment. Too much can happen in that length of time. I always do mine season by season, returning players always had first dibs, then recruit after that.

Second is if AC is not happy, best to let them go. Your just asking for trouble in the long run, misery loves company. I had one in 2010 that we started off good, then just couldn't see eye to eye. We agreed about halfway through TB that he and DD would finish out the season but leave after. And that was fine.

Third, if he is looking he should have the guts to say so. That way the team has time to find a replacement or stand by player.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I found the whole thing a bit humorous as the softball circle in our area is pretty small . Pretty tough to keep a secret like this when all the girls and parents know each other . I found out from a friend who is the AC on the 14U team of the organization who called me and asked what one of our girls was doing working out with the 12U team .

The 2 year commitment was in an effort to keep the girls together as long as possible in order to build the team . The older girls didn't have to make this commitment as they will all be aging up .

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Its better the AC find another team for his dd as soon as possible. A disgruntled assistant coach can wreck a team. Its better for everyone that he and his daughter move on before he has the idea of starting his own team and taking half of yours with him.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Although as a HC I would want to know, I think it's best if it came from the AC himself. If you get in the middle, you're just asking for trouble. I agree with everyone else. The faster the AC moves on, the better off the team will be. Then the HC has the opportunity to fill both slots as quick as possible without too much interuption and drama occurring with the team itself.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As a head coach you never want to get 'blindsided' with bad news, so I would probably want to know.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would think it would be pretty hard to take the "daddy ball show" on the road. I think you can work it out. Get a stop watch, radar gun, and the stat book. Make Honest evaluations !

Feb 3, 2011
PerfectCircle, it's pretty easy to take the show on the road in our area, at least for the 1st few rounds. There are so many teams that it's not at all uncommon for newly-formed teams to blow up before the fall season is even done.

I understand why you'd want to keep your core together for 2+ years, but it isn't very common and the coaches have to be on the same page to have any chance of achieving that longevity together. Players and families and coaches should evaluate the group after each season and determine whether it's still a good fit for them.

I'm an information hound, so I would want to know, but like Yocoach, I'd want to hear it from the AC or from the player, NOT from another parent. Once confirmed, I would wish them both the best and excuse them from the team right away.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm an information hound, so I would want to know, but like Yocoach, I'd want to hear it from the AC or from the player, NOT from another parent. Once confirmed, I would wish them both the best and excuse them from the team right away.

Probably do the same thing as you but again that is why I would not say anything if we were the family trying to move.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30