Work pitcher can do while injured

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 9, 2013
I have a pitcher who is laid up for 3 weeks with a foot injury (Push foot). Dad asked me what can she do while she is out to keep up her arm. She can put weight on the foot but cannot run right now (she's in a boot).

I told him to get her to rest so we don't lose all winter work but I know how that goes....

I was thinking she could do some wrist flips and static 9 oclocks and 12 oclocks if she doesn't feel pain. If she feels pain, she needs to stop immediately.

What else would you suggest?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Not a fan of wrist flips, but any underhand throwing she can do is a good thing. How and what she works on depends on where she is with form. If she has whip down, then any no-drive work should be fine. She can work on her spins, do step backs, or anything not requiring leg drive.

Aug 9, 2013
Her form in on the improve. She had a stretch where she was struggling with control and we focused on being strong at the release. She went from 30/40% strikes to 65% strikes. Her speed was down a bit but as I told her, if they hit the ball, it gives us a chance to make an out. Walks just mean runs.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am with let her rest. If she can walk, do that. There are lots of DVDs she could watch. I like Mental Fundamentals. She could also watch all of the Sue Enquist videos on You Tube.

How about 1 lb. weights for shoulder exercises?

Aug 9, 2013
I am with let her rest. If she can walk, do that. There are lots of DVDs she could watch. I like Mental Fundamentals. She could also watch all of the Sue Enquist videos on You Tube.

How about 1 lb. weights for shoulder exercises?
Hadn't thought about the weights. I did suggest buying a racquetball to work on grip strength.

I also suggested shutting her down for the fall but the boot comes off on the 18th and we have 5-6 games remaining at that point.

Dec 7, 2011
Push foot injury - just securely place the push foot bent knee on a chair (or any other solid rest) and pitching practice can go on.....

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am a fan of rest when ever there is an injury. However, there are spin training devices that help pitchers improve the spins that the put on the ball without having to actually pitch a ball

Feb 5, 2010
There are a lot of things that can be done without putting stress on the foot. Can't for the life of me think why she needs to pitch those last games. Just because the foot is out of the boot, does not mean that she will be 100% It is going to take some time to get back on track. I personally would let her heal and work back before throwing her in the fire JMHO

Feb 7, 2013
Agree to let her rest a couple of weeks and gradually work back into the pitching routine as the foot gets better. I would think long-term instead of rushing her back to pitching too quickly. Have starting seeing a lot of growth plate injuries (knees, ankles, achilles, lower back, etc) at the 12U/14U level that has been surprising to me. I don't remember this being much of an issue when growing up playing youth sports?

Great time to learn how to spin a ball backwards (rise spin).....she can do this while sitting on the sofa. Do it with the fingers. You would be amazed at how difficult it is for some kids to spin a ball backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321