Winter workout for 10u pitcher???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2011
TN
Ok pitching Experts. What are your thoughts on all around best winter workouts for my 10yr old pitcher? I'm thinking Martial arts for balance, strength, and confidence. Swimming for stamina and strength.

Jun 19, 2013
Well I am definitely no expert. But my DD pitching coach loves to have her do long toss as part of her off season training. She says it builds velocity and core strength. We stretch out a giant tape measure and she throws a bucket of balls at the end of practice with a brisk walk through motion. At 10 1/2 last year when she started she could only do about 45-50 feet. This past June she can now get a few past 100 feet.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Well I am definitely no expert. But my DD pitching coach loves to have her do long toss as part of her off season training. She says it builds velocity and core strength. We stretch out a giant tape measure and she throws a bucket of balls at the end of practice with a brisk walk through motion. At 10 1/2 last year when she started she could only do about 45-50 feet. This past June she can now get a few past 100 feet.
Does that mean her speed doubled or did she get a better arc 45 degree on it? We haven't done much long toss so I don't know much about it.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
You can't do enough long toss in my opinion. A few years back, when we started down this journey at 8yoa, someone posted a video of the Jaeger long toss program on one of my threads. Every since then we have made it a part of our practice regiment. All year, not just in the off season. We actually warm up before every workout with a shortened version of long toss both overhanded and underhanded. Now, at 10, she can throw the length of our fielding area where we do lessons, underhanded on one knee. (approximately 90ft or so). Not sure how far she can throw it standing up we never really tried to measure it. What blows my mind is that she can do it for a strike(not on a line, but an arching throw like in the videos). So I am a definite believer in long toss.
I recently ordered his throwing video and j-bands. We plan to add arm excercises this fall. Dd has a broken foot so we hope to atleast keep her arm in shape.
Other than that she plays basketball during the winter to help conditioning and she want to add speed and agility classes if we can find them.

Aug 9, 2013
Gymnastics are great for building core strength which will benefit all parts of her game.

I'm going to use the long toss for my girls this winter.

Jun 19, 2013
Does that mean her speed doubled or did she get a better arc 45 degree on it? We haven't done much long toss so I don't know much about it.

I really don't know what her speed has done, we don't have a gun and her coach is pretty new to coaching and doesn't have her own either. I know visually she is throwing hard, and farther and she is stronger. There is definitely an arc, she isn't really shooting for these to be strikes during this drill. I've wondered how truly beneficial it is since we aren't using perfect form but it is something easily measurable each week and seems to at least indicate an overall greater strength in her body that I hope can then be directed into proper throwing form. Coach says she learned to do it as a little girl when she attended clinics at U of Ariz.

Jun 19, 2013
You can't do enough long toss in my opinion. A few years back, when we started down this journey at 8yoa, someone posted a video of the Jaeger long toss program on one of my threads. Every since then we have made it a part of our practice regiment. All year, not just in the off season. We actually warm up before every workout with a shortened version of long toss both overhanded and underhanded. Now, at 10, she can throw the length of our fielding area where we do lessons, underhanded on one knee. (approximately 90ft or so). Not sure how far she can throw it standing up we never really tried to measure it. What blows my mind is that she can do it for a strike(not on a line, but an arching throw like in the videos). So I am a definite believer in long toss.
I recently ordered his throwing video and j-bands. We plan to add arm excercises this fall. Dd has a broken foot so we hope to atleast keep her arm in shape.
Other than that she plays basketball during the winter to help conditioning and she want to add speed and agility classes if we can find them.

My daughter had an injured foot last year and she did upper body workouts with really light weights, spins, long toss from one knee and a little bit of other throwing from one knee, balance drill pitching off of the good leg and triple arm circle drills. After about 2 months I don't think she had lost any velocity - accuracy temporarily but she seemed to be throwing harder after all the concentrated upper body work.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
My daughter had an injured foot last year and she did upper body workouts with really light weights, spins, long toss from one knee and a little bit of other throwing from one knee, balance drill pitching off of the good leg and triple arm circle drills. After about 2 months I don't think she had lost any velocity - accuracy temporarily but she seemed to be throwing harder after all the concentrated upper body work.
What are spins?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad