Wild pitch vs passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The best athlete on our Team was the C.

We were up by a bunch so DD starting trying to get the ball by her.

It took the C a little bit to figure out what was going on then had a big smile on her face.

DD never did get a ball by her. ☺

Dec 19, 2012
For evaluating catchers, compare the sum of PB + WP (0 is the goal and gold standard).

It appears none of the below catchers come close to meeting your gold standard:

Aubree Munro has 5 PB and Gators pitching has 25 WP.
Aidan Falk and Alex Sobczak have 10 PB combined and Wolverine pitching has 25 WP.
Reagan Dykes has 5 PB and Crimson Tide pitching has 12 WP.
Janell Lindvall has 5PB and Ducks pitching has 18 WP.
Lexie Elkins, top 10 finalist for softball player of the year, has 3 PB and Ragin Cajun pitching has 16 WP.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
I can definitely live with this. I'm sure you are comforted knowing that your scoring system meets my approval. )

Comforted? Even better. With this new approval I'm calling my day complete! I'll pop a top and get in the pool for the rest of the day now ! :)

Nov 18, 2013
Pitchers parent here....IMO..if it hits the dirt it's a wild pitch..you hope the catcher can help the Pitcher out especially at higher levels but it's a wild pitch.If it is a high, low, or river pitch it should be a passed ball..this is what my DD deals with in HS.Her catcher tells her she throws too hard and has too much spin.So any pitch not belt high down Broadway has the potential to be considered wild . Ump got hit in the lower back after our catcher didn't catch a "wild" called high (chest high) outside fastball...it's high school

Ok, I've gotta ask. How did the ump get hit in the back?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
It appears none of the below catchers come close to meeting your gold standard:

Aubree Munro has 5 PB and Gators pitching has 25 WP.
Aidan Falk and Alex Sobczak have 10 PB combined and Wolverine pitching has 25 WP.
Reagan Dykes has 5 PB and Crimson Tide pitching has 12 WP.
Janell Lindvall has 5PB and Ducks pitching has 18 WP.
Lexie Elkins, top 10 finalist for softball player of the year, has 3 PB and Ragin Cajun pitching has 16 WP.

Is it a realistic goal, particularly for a season with 50+ games? No! But it should be the goal a catcher strives to achieve each and every game.

Add in total blocks and successful block percentage, which is simple to record and calculate (but isn't done), and then you have a much better idea of who's a catcher and who's behind the plate because of their bat. MLB has figured out over the years that a good defensive catcher only needs to hit somewhere around .230 to justify being in the lineup. It seems that FP hasn't evolved to that stage yet.

Side note: IME, with a team that splits catching time, it often seems that the better defensive catcher gets paired with the wilder pitcher and that the #2 catcher appears to have equivalent or even better stats than the #1 catcher if you don't consider blocks/block %.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad