Wild pitch vs passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2012
Is it a realistic goal, particularly for a season with 50+ games? No! But it should be the goal a catcher strives to achieve each and every game.

Add in total blocks and successful block percentage, which is simple to record and calculate (but isn't done), and then you have a much better idea of who's a catcher and who's behind the plate because of their bat. MLB has figured out over the years that a good defensive catcher only needs to hit somewhere around .230 to justify being in the lineup. It seems that FP hasn't evolved to that stage yet.

Side note: IME, with a team that splits catching time, it often seems that the better defensive catcher gets paired with the wilder pitcher and that the #2 catcher appears to have equivalent or even better stats than the #1 catcher if you don't consider blocks/block %.

Should it be a goal? Yes! Is it the gold standard? No!

I totally agree with you concerning FP and lack of evolution concerning the advantage of utilizing a good defensive catcher.

Mar 31, 2014
I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm watching this thread. The way I look at it is, if that change up hits the dirt in front of my DD she needs to block it. I think they are passed balls. Not sure if I am correct.

I score it a wild pitch if it is in the dirt, yes the catcher knows it is coming and yes she should block the ball but once it hits the dirt there are variables outside of what the pitcher or catcher can control.

Mar 31, 2014
If the ball hits the dirt before the catcher is able to catch it with normal effort, it is a WP. Although blocking pitches in the dirt is something that competent catchers are expected to do, it's not considered part of "normal effort". It's the same as a 1B digging a short-hop. The competent 1B is expected to do it, but if they miss, the E goes to the thrower.

A pitcher just missing her spot isn't a WP. A pitcher missing the spot so far that it is out of the normal reach of the catcher is a WP. Of course, a decent catcher will adjust their position to give themselves the best opportunity to make the catch, even if the spot if missed. An important part of a catcher's job limiting the potential damage of their pitcher's mistakes.

The other way it's done...
If the P's parent is running the book - PB. If the C's parent is running the book - WP. ;)

This is exactly right!!

May 17, 2014
Different skill sets. Also, ask your infielders how many of them are willing to intentionally use their body to stop a bouncing ball.

Infielders puts themselves in front of bouncing balls moving much faster than a pitch all the time, without any equipment other than a glove, a smaller one than the catcher uses.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Been watching major league baseball for 40 plus years and I have never, EVER, seen a pitch in the dirt scored as a passed ball. Did I mention EVER??? Anyone who takes on the responsibility of keeping book or entering stats in gamechanger should be mandated to study the NCAA scoring guidelines. And if you are keeping book right now or entering stats in GC and you have never studied, I mean REALLY studied the NCAA scoring guidelines, then shame on you.

In MLB Runners rarely advance on balls that are blocked and kept in front of the catcher. Also remember a pitcher can throw 100 pitches to the backstop and none of them are scored as a WP or PB unless a base runner advances.

Oct 27, 2015
I'm a coach and could care less what the rules say. I want to know if that ball could have been caught/stopped with ordinary effort. Not all rules are good rules. This is one that should change if it does not consider ordinary effort.

Another one that bugs me is an error given to an infielder that gets a wicked bad hop. How does that help me assess my fielders if she is given an error on a play that would take a freak of nature to make.

Don't quite official stat rules to me, I'll shove that book up your a$$.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Another one that bugs me is an error given to an infielder that gets a wicked bad hop. How does that help me assess my fielders if she is given an error on a play that would take a freak of nature to make.

If a batter reaches base because of a wicked bad hop, that's a hit. The rule book is on your side on that one.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Ball goes through the 5-hole, it's a PB. If the ball goes through either batters box, WP. (I am neither a catcher's dad or pitchers dad :rolleyes:).

Nov 18, 2013
This might be why there's so much confusion.

NFHS Any ball that hits the ground in front of home plate or catcher cannot stop with ordinary effort is wild.

NCAA Any pitch in the dirt is wild.

ASA/USSSA Any pitch the catcher cannot stop with ordinary effort is wild.

Clear as mud!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi