Who's responsibility is to it see if a player tagged up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2014
Two man crew....One out, runner on 2B. Batter hits a long line drive in the gap that the LF catches on the run in the air. Where should the field ump be before the hit and also as it is heading to the gap? Where should the plate ump be after contact? Whose job is the tag up and whose is the catch?

The fielder came up throwing at 3rd to get the runner who was already nearly half way to third. The 3B should have just tagged her, but opted to throw to second for the live ball appeal. I was yelling at her to just tag her. The throw was made to second, the runner ran on home from third and scored. She should've just tagged her!!!!

This veteran crew ruled safe on appeal because I believe neither ump watched the runner on 2b and had no idea if she tagged up and hence, "they didn't see her leave early". I would argue this...if you didn't actually see her leave the base after the clean catch by the fielder, how can you rule safe and therefore imply that she actually did leave after catch? Simple physics is all we needed. At the time of catch the runner was HALFWAY to third in FULL STRIDE. How could both veterans miss that??

Runner on 2B must have assumed it would not be caught, or she thought there were 2 outs. That's all I can fathom as to why she was running.

Thanks for your input.

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
I believe the field ump should be out behind SS in this scenario and he/she is responsible for the tag up. Plate ump is responsible for the catch. I'm not sure on the mechanics of the timing but I think the plate ump makes the out call verbally and with an out call with his arm which is the timing for the tag? Hopefully the umps will get on here and school us on the mechanics of these calls.

Jun 22, 2008
Prior to the pitch, the base umpire should have been behind the short stop shaded toward 2nd base. On the hit and assuming they did not choose to go out on the fly ball, the base umpire should have come inside the diamond to pick up the batter/runner but is also responsible for the tag up of the runner at 2nd. The plate umpire should have come inside the diamond following the flight of the ball and is responsible for the catch/no catch if the base umpire did not go out and the play at 3rd base and at home.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This veteran crew ruled safe on appeal because I believe neither ump watched the runner on 2b and had no idea if she tagged up and hence, "they didn't see her leave early". I would argue this...if you didn't actually see her leave the base after the clean catch by the fielder, how can you rule safe and therefore imply that she actually did leave after catch? Simple physics is all we needed. At the time of catch the runner was HALFWAY to third in FULL STRIDE. How could both veterans miss that??

Comp has the mechanics...so on the highlighted section....

You cannot 'assume' an out. If you didn't see it, you can't assume it happened as you think it probably did. So if they messed up their mechanics/duties, and neither umpire was actually checking the tag up, they can't assume she didn't. It may have been a horrible missed call, but you are not meant to call an out on what you think happened. If I don't see it, just as I can't assume she did tag up, I also can't assume she didn't.

Jun 11, 2013
We had a play this weekend with runner on 1st and 2nd and a blooper in 5-6 area. Kid on 2nd went back to tag and just before SS made a great catch she took off thinking it was going to drop. The other team threw to 2nd to appeal if she left early. BU called her safe but PU called her out. Our coach argued that the wrong ump made the call which I think is true, but it was a correct call.

Jun 22, 2008
We had a play this weekend with runner on 1st and 2nd and a blooper in 5-6 area. Kid on 2nd went back to tag and just before SS made a great catch she took off thinking it was going to drop. The other team threw to 2nd to appeal if she left early. BU called her safe but PU called her out. Our coach argued that the wrong ump made the call which I think is true, but it was a correct call.

In that situation the tag up at 2nd becomes the plate umpires responsibility. With multiple runners on base, the lead runner is the plate umpires responsibility for tag ups.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Not a valid argument, nor is it a protestable situation even if it were true. But is wasn't, the call belonged to the PU

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse