Who went to Pennsbury and How did it go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 19, 2010
Or basket ball. Wow, her vertical was nearly 2" higher than the 2nd best.

5'4, 120 pounds. 10th grader (now 11th I guess) I knew she was a fast runner, and the agility test didn't totally surprise me, but yes, the vertical did surprise me. She is a heck of a base runner. I guess I am just wondering if this was all for bragging rights? or if coaches really do see this stuff and do something about it.

Jul 31, 2011
My daughter attended on Thursday. As others mentioned, I was impressed with the number of players there, and with the quality of players. It was a good experience. Some good things in the results and some not so good. We will most likely attend again next year.

Oct 10, 2011
Why do they measure grip strength?
From what I've heard...they do not have time to test overall body strength so this can be a quick indication for them to reference. Also, I can't remember where I read it but Candrea and others consider grip and forearm strength to be one of the most important factors in hitting for power. Unfortunately, DD did poorly on this and we have the same dang meter at our house that she has tested much higher on consistently! I need to have her crush more of my beer cans:D

Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for a great thread. Very informative. DD just finished her 9th grade year and we plan on having her attend this camp or the academic camp (can't remember what it's called) next year.

By the way, how do they measure overhand throwing speed? Fiedling a ground ball and then throwing? Or do they let the girl get a running start?

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks for a great thread. Very informative. DD just finished her 9th grade year and we plan on having her attend this camp or the academic camp (can't remember what it's called) next year.

By the way, how do they measure overhand throwing speed? Fiedling a ground ball and then throwing? Or do they let the girl get a running start?
They changed it this year from the past. In the past you had about 4 feet to throw in front of the net because the ball loses about 1 MPH every 7 feet. This year you had about 21 feet with a little room to move if you wanted to shuffle step etc... They are using "a new standard" and new equipment this year. That's how they worded it to me. I hope your DD's get to do fielding first as my DD was in a group that went from agility straight to throwing speed without a warm up. Yesterday at a clinic, they tossed the ball to them and then they threw and she did 4 MPH better but had been warmed up really well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55