Who gets the error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 3, 2010
Suburb of Chicago, IL
Need help with a scoring question. Nobody on base... batter hits a high fly ball in the infield in front of 3rd base. Strong wind is blowing in from LF towards home. 3rd base calls loudly for the ball. the wind blows the ball forward and she ends up attempting the catch at the edge of the pitching circle. The ball hits her glove and bounces out. The pitcher, who is now right next to her, sticks her glove out to catch the bouncing ball. It goes in and out of her glove and the ball hits the ground... batter safe.

I have an error on 3B. Coach says error on Pitcher.... not for dropping the bouncing ball, but for not getting out of 3B's way. Pitcher ended up being about 2 feet away from 3B when she attempted the catch. She was close to 3B but (imo) there was plenty of room to make the catch.

I know there are priorities which can help determine who has priority on a ball... (for example two outfielders run into each other and the ball drops... who has priority? CF over LF), but have never seen that applied to fielding error assignment.

Thoughts?

(for the record... DD's team, but DD wasn't one of the players involved) I'm just curious on the scoring rule.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have it as a single. It is just one of those wierd things. You can't give the pitcher an error for not moving out if the way.

Feb 3, 2011
Single, with no error unless the runner got an extra base while the defense was arguing.

Amy - My judgment is based on the windy conditions turning what would be a routine play into an adventure. Is that something official scorers take into consideration?

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Depends, even with the wind if the scorer detrmines the 3B should have caught the ball with "routine effort" since it hit her glove, then E5.

No way you can give an E1 on the picther trying to catch a deflected ball or for not getting out of the way.

As for 2 fielders colliding and no play being made, hit - no error charged.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Which ever one isn't the score keepers daughter.

I wouldve prob just logged up a single, unless pitcher is close to a no hitter. No one looks at our books anyway.

Jan 23, 2011
Vienna, VA
Error on 3B. I think the edge of the circle is within 3B reach. I also don't consider weather when I score. However, as said, judgement call on whether the play was considered 'makeable' with regular effort for those who disagree with me.

For what it's worth, this is from the NCAA Softball Rules and Interpretations Book

SECTION 22—NO ERROR IS CHARGED
No error is charged to a fielder in the following situations: 14.22.1 When a ball is misplayed because of being lost in the sun or lights, blown by the wind, or if the fielder slips and falls — even if contact is made with the ball.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Which ever one isn't the score keepers daughter.

I wouldve prob just logged up a single, unless pitcher is close to a no hitter. No one looks at our books anyway.

You forgot about the batter. The batter's parent had it as a single as well, even if the wind hadn't blown the ball around.:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA