Who gets the error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I work hard on that, it is not easy.

C throws the ball to 2nd base, no one is there when she throws the ball. She throwing to the base not a person.

Dec 19, 2012
My least favorite error is E2 when the catcher fires a strike to nail a runner stealing second but........no one remembers to cover the base and the runner advances to third

The catcher does not get an error on a perfectly thrown ball that would have gotten the runner out on a steal. The catcher gets an assist, an error goes to the fielder that should have covered the base, and the runner gets charged with a caught stealing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
The catcher does not get an error on a perfectly thrown ball that would have gotten the runner out on a steal. The catcher gets an assist, an error goes to the fielder that should have covered the base, and the runner gets charged with a caught stealing.

I don't think so, Lenski.

I'll hunt for some clarification, but mental mistakes are not charged as errors for official scorekeeping purposes. In this case, if the base-stealer does not advance to 3B, it wouldn't be an error at all. It would be a stolen base. If the runner advances to 3B, the error is on the thrower.

In a similar circumstance, no error is changed on a bunt if no one covers first base. It wouldn't suddenly become an error on the second baseman or first baseman if the fielder fired the ball right over the unoccupied 1B bag and into RF.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
When the throw to 1B is in the dirt or would require 1B to move from the bag, but 1B does not catch the ball- who is scored with the error?

DD#1 played 1B and I'm seeing the HS 1B missing outs that DD would have no problem with back when she was playing.

box score in the paper credits the fielders with throwing errors when 1B misses any less-than-perfect throws.

(also credited RF with an error when 2B dropped an easy pop-fly that was on the OF grass- HC only wants OF playing balls that are hit past the dirt)

1) If the throw prevents the 1B from making a routine play for the out the thrower almost always receives the error. This is why a gold glove 1B is important. Anyone can make the routine plays, but a gold glove 1B can prevent errors.

3) Error should have been an E4, but as a coach I would get onto F9 for not calling her off and making the catch coming in. Our infielders are taught to go back after short fly balls until an outfielder calls her off. Outfielders are supposed to call off the infielders on every play they can. It is a lot easier to catch a ball coming in vs. going back. Scorer could have also ruled it a base hit.

Dec 19, 2012
I don't think so, Lenski.

I'll hunt for some clarification, but mental mistakes are not charged as errors for official scorekeeping purposes. In this case, if the base-stealer does not advance to 3B, it wouldn't be an error at all. It would be a stolen base. If the runner advances to 3B, the error is on the thrower.

In a similar circumstance, no error is changed on a bunt if no one covers first base. It wouldn't suddenly become an error on the second baseman or first baseman if the fielder fired the ball right over the unoccupied 1B bag and into RF.

Here, I found it for you:
https://baseballscoring.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

10.07 (f): When in the scorer’s judgment a runner attempting to steal is safe because of a
muffed throw, the official scorer shall not credit a stolen base. The official scorer
shall credit an assist to the fielder who made the throw, charge an error to the fielder
who muffed the throw and charge the runner with “caught stealing.”

In this case the throw was muffed because the fielder failed to cover the base.

Also: https://baseballscoring.wordpress.com/?s=stolen+bases

If the catcher makes a perfect throw, but nobody covered the base, and the ball goes into the outfield allowing the runner(s) to advance extra bases, the catcher should not be charged with an error.

Charge the error to whomever you deem should have been covering the base. (Obviously the 3rd baseman for a steal on third. Second baseman or shortstop on 2B. Pick whoever was closest to the base. If in doubt, use the standard infield shift, and for a righthanded batter assume the second baseman should take the throw and for a lefty assume the shortstop)

Also, an error is a misplay by a fielder....there does not need to be an attempt.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here, I found it for you:
https://baseballscoring.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/10_the_official_scorer.pdf

10.07 (f): When in the scorer’s judgment a runner attempting to steal is safe because of a
muffed throw, the official scorer shall not credit a stolen base. The official scorer
shall credit an assist to the fielder who made the throw, charge an error to the fielder
who muffed the throw and charge the runner with “caught stealing.”

In this case the throw was muffed because the fielder failed to cover the base.

Also: https://baseballscoring.wordpress.com/?s=stolen+bases

If the catcher makes a perfect throw, but nobody covered the base, and the ball goes into the outfield allowing the runner(s) to advance extra bases, the catcher should not be charged with an error.

Charge the error to whomever you deem should have been covering the base. (Obviously the 3rd baseman for a steal on third. Second baseman or shortstop on 2B. Pick whoever was closest to the base. If in doubt, use the standard infield shift, and for a righthanded batter assume the second baseman should take the throw and for a lefty assume the shortstop)

Also, an error is a misplay by a fielder....there does not need to be an attempt.

Thanks, Lenksi. I'm still not sure about this.

The first link you provided matches MLB rules. But the second link is somebody offering a personal interpretation. He might be right, but I can't find anything in MLB scoring rules, or the official baseball rules you provided, that confirm it.

Muffing the ball is a physical misplay of it. It basically means he dropped the ball. E-6. CS. Agreed. But failure to cover a base is not a muff, IMO.

If you are indeed correct that SS/2B can be changed with an error, that seems counter to the logic of other scoring rules, which tend to avoid any assumption about strategy and who should have been where. That opens a barrel of monkeys. Shortstop might've been told to stay put because the winning run was on third and they were conceding the SB, but bone-headed catcher made a perfect throw to 2B anyway, game over. That's E-6? That's the trouble with assuming where fielders should be.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England

Lenski, as CB noted, you're wrong. Again, I might add :cool:

Sep 18, 2011
Catcher makes a perfect throw to second, but nobody's there... how in the wide wide world of sports could you ever charge the runner with a "caught stealing?" You could never be certain that the tag would have been applied in time. I'm sorry but that makes no sense.

As to the OP - well, everybody nailed it. Ball in the dirt is an error to the thrower, not 1B. And charging an error to RF when 2B dropped the ball is just plain silly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan