Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ill be happy to read and study that talks about off center hits. Ive been asking for that information for a while.

From what I've seen so far, mann's experiment is the only one that has addressed less-than-ideal contact scenarios.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
As long as your "mis-hit" is anywhere on the barrel, whether toward/at the end cap or toward the taper/handle or above/below the horizontal center of the bat, the physics are the same and less energy is transferred to the ball, which affects batted ball distance, but the hands don't have any influence after impact.

I believe the same would hold true for handle hits, but even if it didn't and the hands did play a role, does that justify using swing/grip mechanics that only are specific to pitches that the batter hits more than a foot and a half off the the sweet spot "just in case"?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
As long as your "mis-hit" is anywhere on the barrel, whether toward/at the end cap or toward the taper/handle or above/below the horizontal center of the bat, the physics are the same and less energy is transferred to the ball, which affects batted ball distance, but the hands don't have any influence after impact.

I believe the same would hold true for handle hits, but even if it didn't and the hands did play a role, does that justify using swing/grip mechanics that only are specific to pitches that the batter hits more than a foot and a half off the the sweet spot "just in case"?[/B]

Someone is 'trying' to make lemonade out of lemons.....

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Thanks...I haven't seen it yet. They were all done last fall at American University. The white lab coat was their idea, not mine!

I think the jacket bought you additional street cred with that target audience, but not so much here with some of the flat earthers!

Jul 27, 2015
Heres an idea for everybody, figure things out yourself, be innovative, if you think grip matters then test. Hold the bat as tight as you can and hit a ball off a tee. Now hit it with loose hands. Make a mental note that the ball went farther this way instead of that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan