Which one would go farther?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yes....we finally found another topic to rival face masks/rise balls and illegal pitches.

Cannonball and Riseball, you two would have fun with the research links GM posted. If you get a chance, read some of it and look at the various videos, I think it will convince you.

That doesn't mean the weight room is not necessary, after all, you still need to get the bat going as fast as you can and that requires strength, the more the better.

It is good to know that the reason at 56 years old 6'-1" and 240 lbs that I have no problem hitting a ball on a tee 230ft and few if any of my players can do the same is my superior bat speed. I am sure the guys on the slow pitch field hitting the ball 350ft will be thrilled to know they swing faster than any women playing college softball. Show of hands. How many other coaches in this forum also swing faster the best in the womens game?

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Tim Lincecum (5'11", 170lb) and Justin Verlander (6'5", 225lb) each throw a ball in the exact same way, on the same trajectory, at 96mph. Whose ball travels further?

Two pitching machines, set up exactly the same. One's wheels weigh a total of 10lb, the other's a total of 15. Same trajectory, same speed, same time of contact, same everything. Which ball travels further?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Tim Lincecum (5'11", 170lb) and Justin Verlander (6'5", 225lb) each throw a ball in the exact same way, on the same trajectory, at 96mph. Whose ball travels further?

Two pitching machines, set up exactly the same. One's wheels weigh a total of 10lb, the other's a total of 15. Same trajectory, same speed, same time of contact, same everything. Which ball travels further?

Unfortunately, you are comparing the end result which is exit speed. Not the mechanics to produce it.

In order for it only to be about bat speed and no transfer of energy from the athlete you have to reconcile average beer league slow pitch players hitting ball substantially further than the best of the best in the women's game. Yes, the bats might be heavier, but the ball is also softer. I have a very hard time believing that Bubba Beer Gut swings the bat substantially faster than anyone playing in the WCWS. Along that same line how many of you have picked up a players bat to hit outfield and hit one out? How much faster are you swinging than your best hitters? Science projects aside it just fails the smell test.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I bet most men here would be close to or have faster swing speeds than the best women in fastpitch. Can they hit as well? No way. When talking to the owner of Swing Speed Radar awhile ago, he had tested girls all over the country, including some former Olympic players and over that year period, the fastest swing speed was 74 using his device. I was able to beat that (6'1" 215) pretty easily and I never played baseball except for church softball games. James could blow that away big time! I was easily able to beat Jenny Finches readings on Zepp but I would probably strike out every time against any college pitcher LOl. Most men I've read about using the Zepp have much higher swing speeds. A college girl on DD's team is one inch shorter than me but 5lbs heavier and is in the gym all the time but I can still hit the ball farther than her. I just think men in general have a physical advantage in this area...

May 17, 2012
"The ball-bat collision is very rapid, of order 1 ms or less. By the time the transverse wave reflects back to the impact point on the bat, the ball has long since departed. So nothing on the handle end of the bat could possibly influence what happens to the ball: not the size or shape or weight or even the hands."

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
"The ball-bat collision is very rapid, of order 1 ms or less. By the time the transverse wave reflects back to the impact point on the bat, the ball has long since departed. So nothing on the handle end of the bat could possibly influence what happens to the ball: not the size or shape or weight or even the hands."

I understand what you are saying. Just explain to me why Beer League Bubba hits the ball further than Lauren Chamberlain. Is it simply his superior bat speed and innate athleticism?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Yes....we finally found another topic to rival face masks/rise balls and illegal pitches.

Cannonball and Riseball, you two would have fun with the research links GM posted. If you get a chance, read some of it and look at the various videos, I think it will convince you.

That doesn't mean the weight room is not necessary, after all, you still need to get the bat going as fast as you can and that requires strength, the more the better.

Does it matter how tightly you Grip the Bat?

Evidence #5 doesnt seem like a very good test. The graph doesnt match what is described in the text. Gotta throw that out.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I bet most men here would be close to or have faster swing speeds than the best women in fastpitch. Can they hit as well? No way. When talking to the owner of Swing Speed Radar awhile ago, he had tested girls all over the country, including some former Olympic players and over that year period, the fastest swing speed was 74 using his device. I was able to beat that (6'1" 215) pretty easily and I never played baseball except for church softball games. James could blow that away big time! I was easily able to beat Jenny Finches readings on Zepp but I would probably strike out every time against any college pitcher LOl. Most men I've read about using the Zepp have much higher swing speeds. A college girl on DD's team is one inch shorter than me but 5lbs heavier and is in the gym all the time but I can still hit the ball farther than her. I just think men in general have a physical advantage in this area...

Ok. So then explain why are we not seeing 400ft plus bombs in men's FP. The men's FP fence is not much deeper than the women's FP fence and substantially shorter than what is common in SP (300ft and up). Do the men in FP swing that much slower than their counterparts in SP?

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
It is good to know that the reason at 56 years old 6'-1" and 240 lbs that I have no problem hitting a ball on a tee 230ft and few if any of my players can do the same is my superior bat speed. I am sure the guys on the slow pitch field hitting the ball 350ft will be thrilled to know they swing faster than any women playing college softball. Show of hands. How many other coaches in this forum also swing faster the best in the womens game?

This is just a long way of saying you didn't read the info in the links right? Or is it more of a "damn the science" my finely tuned intuition cannot be wrong? If you don't take a look at the proof out there then nothing anyone says here will convince you that you might be wrong.

If you don't like reading then think about one small fact- given the position of the bat at contact with relation to the swing. How much extra velocity could be added in 1 ms assuming the hands did matter through contact?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207