where to start?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2012
For a beginner catcher what is the most important starting place? What skills should she be focus on on as she gets older/better? Our daughter isn't brand new to catching, but she's only 9. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sep 17, 2009
Teach her to block from day one. Tell her catcher's block every pitch in the dirt, they never try to "catch it". Use the DVD above to teach her how to block properly. If you do that from day one (which most catchers, even future good ones, don't do) you'll make the path MUCH easier.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with the above and also, buy her her own gear. I would also get her a small catcher's mitt, so you don't have to make that change later.

Feb 24, 2012
Agree with above on blocking and own gear. Use tennis balls w/ gear on and hands behind back. this really helped my dd, who is 1st yr 12U now.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
The one foundational skill that all other skills hing on is a catcher's stance. NECC's video covers stance in great detail. Do get the video. It is the best investment a serious catcher (and their family) can make. We called it our secret weapon when we first got the video and started utilizing the skills taught by Dave and Jay. Get the stances correct and everything else is MUCH easier. Pictured is one of three stances taught by NECC...

563174_583641914989129_2060684249_n.jpg

Dec 18, 2012
Totally agree about NECC video and stances. There is so much focus on catcher's throw to 2nd (which our DD was great at) but it wasn't until we took a lesson and saw the video that we realized how impactful proper receiving and blocking could be...even if it might not get as many kudos or cheers from fans or coaches as the caught stealing throw. But trust me receiving/blocking will get major appreciation from the pitchers and they will be more likely to want your DD to catch. (My DD is 10)..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp