When to stop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Sometimes being uncommitted late can have some benefits. However, as some have said in other threads, the chance of getting money late vs early is probably less. Coaches leaving can cause a huge domino effect as players look for another program.

Athletic money is much harder to come by late in the process, but academic money is still readily available, so keep those grades up and work on those test scores!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD pitches and works on it a little bit, I think she would be OK not pitching.

C falls into this category for me, lot of work almost have to play it.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You never know what the schools plan is. Some schools will take a big stick catcher and put her at first. Other kids are primarily outfielders and show up to school and find catchers gear in their lockers. Just because they signed a catcher, doesn't mean they are planing on using her at catcher. If the school is an academic fit, keep working at it.

Sep 28, 2015
Do you think it's more the players that decommit than the schools this late in the game? My 2017 DD just verballed last month and has no plans on changing her mind (well unless OK knocks on the door lol) I would assume we wouldn't have to worry about anything this late....so you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I would say it's probably 70-30. Maybe a bit higher. Players decommit when they find a better fit for them academically and probably socially as well...think campus life and size of the campus versus HC's leaving for various reasons. I could easily be wrong but I don't think I am. Recently, I just signed a player to my TB team that is probably one of the top players in the state. She verbally committed to a large D1 but there have been 4 coaching changes in the last 3 years and she feels as if she's in flux. She also wants to play a more local showcase schedule and stay on the recruiting trail since she's not sure the promised NLI will show up. OTOH, I have another player that verbally committed to a small D2 but the coach's communication skills pretty much suck. She found a better fit for her both academically. athletically and socially so she de-committed. Several others want to stay on the recruiting trail that have verballed already simply because they want to make sure that their first choice is right. I fully expect at least 2 to decommit and maybe more if the right offer comes along.

Sep 28, 2015
Do you find schools will still approach girls who are verbally committed? My DD is very happy with her decision so we are not purposefully looking I'm just curious how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Do you find schools will still approach girls who are verbally committed? My DD is very happy with her decision so we are not purposefully looking I'm just curious how it works.

Coaches who think they can get away with it will absolutely do it. I have seen the "You have committed to a school below your level - we would be a better fit" conversation many times.

I have seen the 'just checking in' conversation. "How you doing? You still going to XXX? Well if you change your mind we are here for you......"

I have seen the outright "You should come here" conversation....

And lastly, I have seen the desperate coaches - "The season is approaching and I don't have a SS" or "My C is injured, I don't have backup" or "I have 1 pitcher.... now what?". Now it gets REAL interesting. Two years ago I saw maybe 12 very good players change school between the end of their senior year and the start of college because ONE pitcher decided to decommit from one D1 school and go to a better D1 school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00