When to start your lead off.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Two years ago dd was changed to the sprinter start and the results were impressive. The rocker start should be faster, but they never seem to get the timing down. Her times were always faster with the sprinter start to second base. Her instructor convinced me and she was Ohio State best base stealer for years.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
At 12U and 14u I will approach the field umpire and if he is a pleasant individual willing to listen (which most are), I will explain to him how we coach our kids to lead off. I got sick and tired of having kids called out because they weren't standing statue still while the pitcher goes through her motion and it takes the field ump by surprise when we explode off the bag. We work with our kids to do exactly how the video shows, and as an ump if you aren't ready for it, it will look like they are leaving early. Most say thank you, and one even kind of smiled and said quietly, "this ain't my first rodeo" which allowed me to share a laugh with the umpire... I have never had it blow back on me.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think you need to distinguish between a lead off and a break on a straight steal. There is absolutely no reason to push the envelope and get caught leaving early on a lead off regardless of the technique used. A straight steal on a strong catcher or hit and run is another matter.

Jul 24, 2013
I agree..... a lot of wasted movement on a lead off, and pushing it if you get a special ump. On a straight steal though for sure... we are going to do the whistle drill this summer...

I think you need to distinguish between a lead off and a break on a straight steal. There is absolutely no reason to push the envelope and get caught leaving early on a lead off regardless of the technique used. A straight steal on a strong catcher or hit and run is another matter.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina

Good point, although beating a force play can also be significant. Also being able to get to the next base on a ball that's in the dirt or not caught. Is it not worth it for those plays? I suppose too aggressive a jump puts you at risk of being picked off vs. a good catcher.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Not a big fan of imitating the arm circle. I can't ever remember a runner actually getting off the base with the pitch... Always a bit behind the pitcher. Also, most girls tend to stride with the same side leg as their throwing hand, which means they need a step or two to correct to opposite arm/opposite leg action. We time from the heel.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298