When Talent Doesn't Work Hard...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2013
"When Talent doesn't work hard, hard work beats talent!" is the expression that I've shared with my DD for years and I've felt quite ignored. She obviously has a lot of talent and has done well without much of the hard work, so I don't think that she took what I said very seriously, until perhaps now.

The situation this year for school ball is my DD pitches and plays second for the JV of one of the best teams in the state. The Varsity pitcher has a full ride to a top DI school. I am certain for most other high school teams that my DD would be the starter on Varsity. After this season our stud pitcher departs for college leaving my DD vying with two other pitchers for that starting role--though the HC indicated that the role might be shared betwixt them. All three have pitched well this year but, the JV coach is favoring one of the other girls. This is distressing my DD, of course. The other two girls that she's competing with play and take lessons all winter long. My DD has literally pitched about 12 times from October-February with no other softball activities.

When she's not pitching my DD plays 2B and has, at least defensively, won that role. She doesn't always get to hit though, in spite of the fact in the last game that she batted she was the hero with 4 RBIs and hit over .400 in TB last summer. This compelled her, finally, for the first time to signup for a lesson with a hitting instructor! So, we'll see what happens.

In this post I wanted to share my experience of hitting the point where hard work finally beat my DDs talent and to see if anyone has any similar stories to share and what I might expect going forward.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yep. There comes a point where all the players on the field are talented. What separates them is their determination to do the work it takes to be the best they can be.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I see this a lot. I have a pitcher right now who I know will end up going over to BBall full time because it is an easier road to success for her in HS (she is 6'2").

Softball and baseball are games of skill that require practice and repetition to master. Pure athleticism will lose over the long term if the skills aren't developed. Kids don't burn out in sports - they decide that it is no longer fun because it requires too much work to keep up with the other players. It is natural selection based on both athleticism and desire.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have that struggle with my DDs.

DD #1 was a very talented 3B, but never did much with her talent. She lost interest.
DD #3 is talented all around. She prefers P, also plays SS and 3B and OF for her TB team, and can play any position well in rec ball.
Saturday she had her first rec ball game of the year. She warmed up with the starting pitcher for a local D3 school, who told me DD #3 has talent but needs more practice. Then, she pitched one inning: BB, HBP, BB, K, K, K. 2 runners scored on passed balls.

After the game, DD #3 blamed the catcher for everything. Had the catcher framed pitches correctly, the BBs would've been Ks. Had the catcher handled the passed balls correctly, DD could've tagged the runners out.

I pointed out what the college pitcher said, and pointed out the catcher did not hit a batter with a pitch.

I think DD #3 now realizes she needs a lot more practice.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
As quoted from many including MS, the days of one ace at the HS Varsity level are over. Regardless of where the kid is at, the JV coach should be developing all of the pitchers and encouraging them to work when and how they can. I would not begrudge a kid to play BBall or take off time to rest. Does not matter to me when or how they get the work in. But to not develop or let all the pitchers who are accomplished play (as this player sounds accomplished enough) at JV is ridiculous. No one cares if JV wins. What happens is you drive the girl out of pitching and you may not have enough at V in the future. Hard work is not always fruitful, it has to be encouraged and directed by both coaches and parents in a healthy manner. More is not always more.

Not sure where you got any of this from the OP. Clearly the OP indicates that his DD has no worked as hard or put in the effort that the other girls have put in. Kids flame out for different reasons, but the most common reason I see is that they don't put the effort in that other players are, and have learned to rely on "athleticism". When you get to a certain level, all of the players have "athleticism". It's those that work on their skills that rise to the top.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
I am always proud of DD's softball accomplishments. When a coach or parent comments about her positively it is great. But the proudest I have ever been is when a coach recently told me that DD is one of the hardest working kids she has every coached. We have seen so many talented players that plateau because they aren't willing to put in the work it takes to keep improving. It has always been our rule that we will put out the money to make her softball dream come true and her skin in the game is giving 100% whether it is a game, practice, tee work in the back yard or in the classroom.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It has always been our rule that we will put out the money to make her softball dream come true and her skin in the game is giving 100% whether it is a game, practice, tee work in the back yard or in the classroom.

Yep. I have been telling my kids this for years. If they show the dedication and put in the work, I will fund the gear. Sports or music, same deal.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
Almost every year I get that senior that decides she has done enough to maintain her position for the upcoming year, only to get out worked and hustled by an underclassmen. Often, You will work harder to climb to the top of the mountain than to stay on top of the mountain. Fighting human nature I guess

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413