When it all comes together (brag post)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We had our first scrimmage game last night with our 10U Spring rec team. In the first 2 innings, Maddie threw out 2 runners at 2B (including one after executing a great block on an outside pitch in the dirt), and back-picked a girl off 1B. She also did a great job selling strikes to blue, which helped our pitcher strike out the side in the 3rd inning. The wheels fell of our pitcher a bit in the 4th, and a few runs crossed the plate, but there was not one further attempt to steal. The effect a good catcher can have on a game was dramatically evident.

Seeing all of the skills we've been working on for over a year really coming together to a point where Maddie can use them at full speed in game situations is very satisfying.

In addition to her technical skills, one of my favorite moments was when she trotted out to the circle after her pitcher gave up a couple of walks in the 4th inning, and gave a little pep talk.

Not only am I very proud of her, but she is also proud of herself, and that may be the most important part of all.

Last edited:
May 20, 2013
Nice!! I have a 10U catcher myself, and in our first scrimmage of the season the other day, she executed a very technically sound right side block. I couldn't contain myself. She was very excited too. I'm just glad she's finally trying the blocks. As I have always preached to her, you will never block a ball that you don't attempt to block. Sometimes the hardest part is actually attempting it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Nice!! I have a 10U catcher myself, and in our first scrimmage of the season the other day, she executed a very technically sound right side block. I couldn't contain myself. She was very excited too. I'm just glad she's finally trying the blocks. As I have always preached to her, you will never block a ball that you don't attempt to block. Sometimes the hardest part is actually attempting it.

Agreed 100%. Getting over the hurdle of blocking in a game situation is a big step in a young catcher's development. Congrats to your DD.

Mar 21, 2013
We had our first scrimmage game last night with our 10U Spring rec team. In the first 2 innings, Maddie threw out 2 runners at 2B (including one after executing a great block on an outside pitch in the dirt), and back-picked a girl off 1B. She also did a great job selling strikes to blue, which helped our pitcher strike out the side in the 3rd inning. The wheels fell of our pitcher a bit in the 4th, and a few runs crossed the plate, but there was not one further attempt to steal. The effect a good catcher can have on a game was dramatically evident.

Seeing all of the skills we've been working on for over a year really coming together to a point where Maddie can use them at full speed in game situations is very satisfying.

In addition to her technical skills, one of my favorite moments was when she trotted out to the circle after her pitcher gave up a couple of walks in the 4th inning, and gave a little pep talk.

Not only am I very proud of her, but she is also proud of herself, and that may be the most important part of all.

Great job! Catcher, the second hardest position in sport. Can you tell i'm a pitcher dad lol. Can't have one without the other, and watch how good your pitchers get knowing they have a great catcher.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Congrats to Maddie, Eric! Glad to see the hard work paying off. Must've been those catching camps she went to in the off season. ;)

The camps/clinics have certainly been an important factor in her development. MOST important has been her determination to keep improving her game, and her willingness to work hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd