When is it too hot??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
Did LL all stas one yr. Triple digits. For the tourny pregame "If both coaches agree 15 min break between 3rd btm and top 4th. Otherwise keep rolling with timeouts for p and c. Only stipulation was had to be player bringing water no coaches

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
We are here in Orlando for the WS. I was expecting hotter than Texas weather but so far it has not been that bad. But, today our game is at 4:45. Im sure i will have a different feeling later lol. Its def not the same heat as in Texas.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Played last week in Austin and playing right now in Dallas.....very hot and humid for our girls from the Mountains of CO!!

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
This year is the first time I have seen umpires stop a game and tell us to get water fort he pitchers and catchers. I was trying to figure out what was wrong the first time. One ump even came to the dugout when the offense called time out and asked for a water. I thought she needed it but went straight to our pitcher and catcher and made them drink.

Jun 12, 2015
Is there a reason why umps don't use the jugs with hooks that hold like a gallon of ice water? Those bottles they stick in the fence have to get hot really fast, yuck. I've always wondered that.

Jul 17, 2016
Is there a reason why umps don't use the jugs with hooks that hold like a gallon of ice water? Those bottles they stick in the fence have to get hot really fast, yuck. I've always wondered that.

Maybe because the tourneys often give them those bottles for free? We're from TN, and you'll often see staff bringing water bottles to umpires before and during games when it's hot and humid.

Some of it is what you're used to. Our kids are used to playing in 95 degree, 80% humidity most weekends. So when we went to OKC for a tourney this year that coincided with the college WS, out daughter who was catching was asking me why the other team from Colorado kept calling time out to get their pitcher water, when she thought it wasn't bad even in all the catcher's gear. It was low 90s that morning according to my phone, not a cloud, but very low humidity vs what we're used to. I assumed the CO kids just were not conditioned for it. Our kids were great.

Sitting in the shade, it felt like maybe 15 degrees color than the same temp at home due to the low humidity that day. Not sure how it felt in the blazing sun on the field, though :) But yeah, either way, these kids can be tough. Just have to keep reminding them to drink.

We played recently in Florence, AL, and they had fields with built in misters in the dugout ceilings. Pretty cool idea. (pun!)

Dec 11, 2010
Good ones often tell catcher she has unlimited water breaks. Don't forget the umps, we need to be looking out for them. Several dozen "went down" at Top Gun KC, and we saw several scary symptoms like forgetting what was going on. I think they feel an obligation and push themselves too far.

We are in KC this weekend and in our first game yesterday the plate ump had to go out of game. We were rotating his frog tog through one of our coolers and giving him ice to put on his neck but that wasn't even close to helping. He was getting counts confused, you could tell he wasn't doing well. And yes- he pushed himself too far, I hated to see it. UIC said three went down yesterday.

The tournament has completely suspended the no cooler rule, everybody has one. 102 for a high today, we play at noon and probably 2. Gonna be a rough one.

Jun 29, 2013
We have played n games in Northern CA when it is 110. Brutal conditions, but at least it wasn't turf. My oldest daughter literally fainted due to heat in a game a few years ago, scared the hell out of us. It turned out she had been eating a ton of seeds and not drinking anywhere near enough water. But they had her in for EKG's after the same thing happened at school a few days later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut