When is it time to change pitching coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2014
DD has been with the same pitching coach (first coach) for two years, with a few breaks in between. DD is 13 and works very hard to improve, but she is not a gifted player. Pitching coach is former DI all American pitcher, and I think is a good instructor. The problem is my DD has not shown much improvement over the summer, but still puts in the effort and practice. The pitching coach doesn't seem that concerned, and takes for granted that we'll keep coming back. Is there a point where you make a change because the kid has heard too many times from same coach ?

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Do not feel guilty just go look and interview some new coaches.
My DD's first coach was great to get her started for first 2 years then they got to comfortable with each other.
Next coach simplified some mechanics and pitches for her but moved because of her job.
Present coach seems to never quit pushing. Always demands better than the previous pitch (may not actually be a better pitch but better effort).

We still love all the past coaches and talk to them on a regular basis but also glad we decided to look for different ones.

Feb 7, 2013
It can't hurt to have your DD attend a pitching lesson with another coach as a sanity check. My DD is on her 4th coach in 7 years so it's not uncommon to move around.

I would write down the top 3 things you want from a coach and see if her current coach meets those needs. Remember there is more to selecting a pitching coach than just learning pitching mechanics. For example, does your DD enjoy working with this coach; does the PC offer the intangibles like discussing pitch strategy; how to handle pressure when in the circle; is he/she a good mentor to your daughter; does she have connections to top travel ball teams / college coaches, etc.

DDs first pitching coach was a hello elbow instructor (I didn't know any better at the time) but DD enjoyed seeing her every week, she was great with young kids (7yo), knew everyone in the softball community, and I would ask her a ton of questions. My DD and I learned a lot from her for two years until I saw the light and just couldn't pay good money anymore to have her teach HE mechanics to my DD. She still gets tons of students who are successful in spite of her teachings.

Good luck to you.

Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for the advice. She does enjoy her current PC, but I think she needs someone who can push her more.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
a) How fast does she throw? Kids top out from 55MPH to 65MPH. The top speed of a kid is dependent upon genetics, not coaching or work.
b) What breaking pitches does she throw? (If you give me a list of 4 breaking pitches, that means that she really doesn't throw any breaking pitches).
c) How good is her control? How many innings can she throw without a walk? How many walks per game? Can she *consistently* (8 out ot 10 times) hit the corners on command?
d) What kind of practice do you do at home?

Feb 7, 2013
a) How fast does she throw? Kids top out from 55MPH to 65MPH. The top speed of a kid is dependent upon genetics, not coaching or work.

IMO, this is not a helpful statement. Most kids that top out at 55mph have little to do with genetics but everything to do with proper pitching technique (or lack thereof). I'm sure if Javasource had a kid that "genetically" topped out 55mph, he could easily get another 3-5 mph out of her after a few seasons. No doubt in my mind.

May 17, 2012
IMO, this is not a helpful statement. Most kids that top out at 55mph have little to do with genetics but everything to do with proper pitching technique (or lack thereof). I'm sure if Javasource had a kid that "genetically" topped out 55mph, he could easily get another 3-5 mph out of her after a few seasons. No doubt in my mind.

It's true though, you got what you got. The trick is to figure out how to maximize what you have. Once you reach that top no amount of weight lifting, technique, or practice will make you faster.

There is an interesting article on the physiological make up of the shoulder and arm in baseball. While there are more pitchers pitching fast they are not pitching faster. They actually quoted the limit on overhand pitching speed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes