What's your call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
From the original post
Just before F2 can make the throw she is hit by R3
and from post 4
Would the correct call be any different if the catcher was accidently bumped into by R3

If the fielder has the ball and is moving to make a play, they do have the right of way just the same as if they were fielding a batted ball.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
From the original post and from post 4

If the fielder has the ball and is moving to make a play, they do have the right of way just the same as if they were fielding a batted ball.

I am back to being confused. To me, it doesn't seem that the offense should benefit and be allowed the run if the runner interferes w/ the catcher, who is in the process of making a simple throw to retire the batter/runner, regardless if R3 has touched home.

Mar 26, 2013
"Run over" sounds more like a crash than hit or bumped.

So, F2 ignores the runners on base, moves into RH Batter's Box (i.e. 3rd base side) to throw to 1B, runner slides into her while legally advancing to Home and you're saying the runner is out for interference?

Jun 22, 2008
Certainly sounds like the runner in your scenario has interfered with F2's ability to make the play at 1st base doesnt it?

ASA 8-7-J-2 When a runner interferes with a fielder attempting to throw the ball.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
So, F2 ignores the runners on base, moves into RH Batter's Box (i.e. 3rd base side) to throw to 1B, runner slides into her while legally advancing to Home and you're saying the runner is out for interference?
Depends on the timing. If the runner has already begun her slide and then the catcher steps into her path, there is no INT call. If the defender is already there attempting to the throw to 1B, then the onus is on the runner to avoid the collision. So, if the catcher is already there making a play and the runner makes contact prior to reaching home plate, that should be an immediate dead ball INT call for the 3rd out of the inning in this scenario.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Depends on the timing. If the runner has already begun her slide and then the catcher steps into her path, there is no INT call. If the defender is already there attempting to the throw to 1B, then the onus is on the runner to avoid the collision. So, if the catcher is already there making a play and the runner makes contact prior to reaching home plate, that should be an immediate dead ball INT call for the 3rd out of the inning in this scenario.

Not to high-jack the thread but are you saying that the college rules are different? i.e. the BR sliding directly into F6 at 2nd to prevent a DP?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Following the tangent about sliding into the fielder...

Contact made with a fielder while legally sliding is not illegal contact. So that wouldn't be interference.

Jan 21, 2014
Rosamond, CA
Well, this went way off track....I was hoping that the point would be what would you call on this play and not on what the umpire did call or what F2 should have done.
cayonjoe and ajaywill are the only ones to attempt to answer the question as written, thanks. joe said his was a wild guess. Ajaywill stated his answer, I didn't see anyone disagree with him...does that mean everyone agrees with his answer for the question as written...without the what-ifs?

Situation:

Bases loaded

Two outs

Uncaught 3rd strike, balls skips a little past F2

The wheel starts turning as runners start to advance

As BR heads to first

F2 grabs ball and moves into the left hand batter box to throw to first

Just before F2 can make the throw she is hit by R3, who stepped on home but then her momentum took her past home and into F2

What is your call?

thanks to all who took the time (and might still take the time) to answer this question.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
R3 scores and run counts. Since she didn't slide, Int on a retired player and R2 is out at 3rd since she becomes the closest BR to home. Inning ends since R2 is the third out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26