what's you number 1 speed building drill or exercise? and why?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can somebody b more specific on how they do long toss. Are there different ways to do it? Can u use different size balls or weighted balls? (Not real heavy 8oz) Regular pitching motion or walk throughs?
Thanks!

For training, I like a game I call step backs. Start up close and with easy whips to the target/zone. Hit it 2 out of 3 times to earn a step back. Fail to get 2/3 in two attempts and you take a step forward. Keep going until there are three consecutive failed attempts (the catcher should be a little more generous with the zone as distance increases.) The farther back you go, the more intensity/body you add. Add an arm circle, more lower body and work into full walk-throughs. Pace off or count the steps earned and record for next time.

I don't really like to do these past the point of losing control. I suggest these be done earlier in the week and no less than 3 days prior to a game. More often in the off season. Focus on mechanics and don't cheat.

For warm ups, start close with some easy whips and take a step back every few tosses. Add more arm circle and body as needed until walk-throughs feel needed. Finish after a few walk throughs, or when you feel loose/warm, before moving back up for spots and spins.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Hey DFP!

We've some absolute rockstar's helping out with the study. If you've the time to help us organize it - please let me know... we're trying to get something ready for field testing in the November-December time frame.

I created a group on here and if you want to be part of something huge... and are willing to offer some of your time/talents, post here or PM me. Thanks!

Jun 19, 2013
Hey DFP!

We've some absolute rockstar's helping out with the study. If you've the time to help us organize it - please let me know... we're trying to get something ready for field testing in the November-December time frame.

I created a group on here and if you want to be part of something huge... and are willing to offer some of your time/talents, post here or PM me. Thanks!

If Ken B runs part of it in our neck of the woods I think my DD will be interested and I'm wondering what you think about adding my 14 year old son who is a baseball pitcher?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I think that would be outside the scope of this study... but I KNOW that it would help him, too. So... although his data might not be part of the study, I DEFINITELY think he should partake in it! The positive effects on overhand throwing performance with CKCE workouts are well-documented.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Well Java, my DD's PC started her on a plyometric workout last night.

Pitch -> modified jumping-jack similar to wall jumps -> repeat for 10 reps
Pitch -> squat jump -> repeat for 10 reps
Pitch -> x-hops, 2 feet -> repeat for 10 reps
Pitch -> run dow to retriev ball and run back to pitcher plate -> repeat for 10 reps

She ended with quickpitch for 10 reps. My DD is still learning to hit the strike zone, so no point in partaking of your study, but I found it serendipitous to have been reading a few threads where you refer to this, which caused me to go find your drive mechanics thread and try to create a workout for my DD and DS, and then to run into it elsewhere.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah

Pitch -> modified jumping-jack similar to wall jumps -> repeat for 10 reps
Pitch -> squat jump -> repeat for 10 reps
Pitch -> x-hops, 2 feet -> repeat for 10 reps
Pitch -> run dow to retriev ball and run back to pitcher plate -> repeat for 10 reps

She ended with quickpitch for 10 reps. My DD is still learning to hit the strike zone, so no point in partaking of your study, but I found it serendipitous to have been reading a few threads where you refer to this, which caused me to go find your drive mechanics thread and try to create a workout for my DD and DS, and then to run into it elsewhere.

You caught my attention with this "quick-pitch." Explain, please.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
You caught my attention with this "quick-pitch." Explain, please.

Full windup pitch, then step back on the plate as the catcher gets ball back to her as quickly as possible; as she catches she steps back and then performs basically a walk-through pitch; repeat. So the catch and step back becomes the rock back part of the windup, and she doesn't get to reset for each pitch. She probably doesn't have to step back, but that's how this drill was run.

I hope I've described it well enough? I can maybe get some video of her tomorrow and post a clip.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY

My DD is still learning to hit the strike zone, so no point in partaking of your study, but I found it serendipitous to have been reading a few threads where you refer to this, which caused me to go find your drive mechanics thread and try to create a workout for my DD and DS, and then to run into it elsewhere.

BG... she should do it anyway... control and placement is not a prerequisite...

Glad to hear you have her doing some plyo's. Good stuff!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA