Whats the next pitch to learn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
OK, just to clarify. If you are using IR and releasing the ball properly. Isnt that considered a drop for the fastball??

I understand what you are saying and I use to have the same question. I consider a FB that is lower in the zone, just that...a low FB. Once your DD really can throw a drop you will see the difference. I can catch low FB all day long. When DD throws her drops effectively I get anxious and typically don't sit with my legs wide open facing directly towards her and I only like to use a Softie balls to catcher her drops.

My opinion is to go with drop ball next....fairly easy to learn and very effective pitch. A drop curve is a good pitch to have and just as easy to learn as the drop IMO. DD and I use the terminology...tight wrist for drop and loose wrist for drop curve (credit to sluggers for those terms). I would work on drop, then locating the drop, and then drop curve. She will throw a few drop curves by accident when learning the drop. If you need help with mechanics of this pitch Coach Pauly has a good video on his site that can help. My DD is 12 also and the drop is her go to pitch.

Boomers, my memory isn't the best...but I think I remember you posting videos of your DD a while back...maybe something with her arm circle, etc. Anyway, I think she looks awesome...great work!

Sep 11, 2009
this from Doug Gillis:

"it's been my experience that pitchers who learn to throw a curve before a rise will rarely master the rise. However, pitchers who learn to throw a rise before the curve usually have little issue in learning to throw a curve."

So, if you take the advice of one of the best have her learn the rise before the curve.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
this from Doug Gillis:

"it's been my experience that pitchers who learn to throw a curve before a rise will rarely master the rise. However, pitchers who learn to throw a rise before the curve usually have little issue in learning to throw a curve."

So, if you take the advice of one of the best have her learn the rise before the curve.

I think most pitchers learn the curve before the rise because a rise ball needs more velocity to be effective.

Feb 7, 2013
I think the curve ball is overrated. It's an east/west pitch more on plane with the swing of the bat and it doesn't really break as much as bucket dads and moms thinks it does. Can anyone name a great pitcher who's best pitch is a curve ball? A lefty, throwing a drop curve is a different story since it moves down and in to a right handed batter.

For most RHPs, stick with north/south pitches: drop, rise, changeup and you can throw in a screwball or similar inside pitch to jam right-handed batters. Hit your locations and mix in some offspeed stuff and you should do well with just these pitches. No need to learn anything else. There is a finite amount of time to "master" your pitches, no sense in wasting time learning too many pitches.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, it's mighty early in the day.

1) The high strike zone for college is lower than FED or the ABC orgs. If college is your goal, that's something to consider. I've noticed from watching a lot of live/in person games this spring, that better hitters are laying off the rise for a "ball".

2) Probably the most successful location pitch in a strike out sequence is low and away, has been for a long long time. Pitching graphs show that is one highly used area.

3) In college the entire ball must be in the high/low zones. The corners only a piece of the ball is required.

Food for thought for now, rolling over for that last good hour of sleep. :)

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2011
I think the curve ball is overrated. It's an east/west pitch more on plane with the swing of the bat and it doesn't really break as much as bucket dads and moms thinks it does. Can anyone name a great pitcher who's best pitch is a curve ball? A lefty, throwing a drop curve is a different story since it moves down and in to a right handed batter.

For most RHPs, stick with north/south pitches: drop, rise, changeup and you can throw in a screwball or similar inside pitch to jam right-handed batters. Hit your locations and mix in some offspeed stuff and you should do well with just these pitches. No need to learn anything else. There is a finite amount of time to "master" your pitches, no sense in wasting time learning too many pitches.

Absolutely! Breaking a pitch ON swing plane is NOT going to be your most effective pitch choice.

I think the attraction, of the drop curve for example, for so many is:
- It reminds daddy of their effective curve in baseball (which drop-curves and so many in baseball rely on the curve)
- It IS much easier to learn than the screw or rise.
- It will be very effective in the pre-14U-TB-A environments

My DD played with a very good drop-curve pitcher. It's her go-to. She gets tons more hits off her I believe solely for this reliance on this pitch type. (18U RHP where speed/accuracy are about the same)

Again, if the majority were LHB's I would change my story in a second for a RHP to throw the Crop. But they are not of course.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just one suggestion to the members of the "Horizontal Movement Pitches Haters Club" - throw these pitches to both sides of the plate for both RH and LH hitters and their effectiveness increases exponentially.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Most pitchers are unable to get significant 2+ movement on horizontal movement pitches so they rely on some assistance from gravity to get an effective pitch. For those that can get the movement the results speak for themselves. I have one young lady playing for me that throws her curve directly at the batters hip. Very few players have what it takes to stay in the box and wait for it to break.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06