what's a good throwdown time for a 10u catcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 19, 2011
For the first time my dd was timed doing her throwdown from home to second. Her coach didn't say if her time was good or bad, but he was offering different tips to help her. Her throwdown from her glove to the ss was 2.1 seconds. Is that acceptable and if not, how could she improve that? Thanks in advance :)

Jan 20, 2011
2.1? That's nearing the time of average collegiate level catchers. The best 10U catchers I have seen and timed are around the 2.35 mark, that's around the average high school level catcher and darn good for a 10 year old.

Occasionally the time will start to creep towards the 2.teens but they are cheating in their stance. Would love for you to post a video from behind second base so that it can be timed.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Here is the full shot...including celebration... :cool: Make sure volume is on...gotta Google add for this one...:{))

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Just be happy at 10u if she can one hop it there without throwing out her arm. Time of the throw at 10U does not mean a whole lot. I would work on good mechanics proper form how to throw and then work on long toss when moving up to 12U and 14U

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
I would discourage comparing any young catcher's throw down times (pop times) to a standard chart or timetable. There is just too much variation in body and mental development. I have worked with a 10 catcher you would swear was 17 or 18.... And I work with one that is just a small drink of water. But she is TOUGH! (See Scouting Report- Kaiya D. on ACC's Facebook page) I would not discourage timing their throws to benchmark their personal improvement. The only place to compare that time would be against themselves. This is common with conditioning. If my catcher did a 2 minute wall sit at one session, I would challenge her to go for 2 1/2 minute wall sit next time. It is great to be able to measure their growth and improvement. It's a tangible measurement that your catcher can see and realize improvement. I often time my catchers on throw down, pick off or block and throw drills and challenge them to push themselves. Seeing their times drop from the baseline gives them a real sense of accomplishment.

The flip side is that a lot of catchers work on speed and sacrifice proper technique. Please stress proper technique and working on being steady and smooth. 1/4 or 1/2 speed drills are great for this. You want your catchers to be confident and consistent with their throwing technique. The speed will come after that. (Never clock throws if you are developing technique or skill)

-Chaz @ ACC

May 23, 2013
I have a 10u lefty catcher. Pop to pop for a good catcher with proper footwork ( no extra steps to the base she's throwing at) proper ball transfer (rip it out not glove flip) and a proper throw ( grip, and elbow above her shoulder) a one hop, no rainbow throw. You're looking at anything below 3 seconds. Average 10Us I've seen this year were at 2.8. The elite are at 2.2 - 2.45. I've also timed a lot of D1 catchers and you're looking at a 1.7-1.9 seconds.
Seek out a professional coach. Megan Willis, Jen Schro or go to your local softball team and hire the coach or hs catcher tomget you on the right path for good fundamentals.

May 1, 2011
DD is first one in the video. She is 10U. Boy have we come a long way. She's not doing the Texas Two-Step anymore before she throws it that's for sure. I agree on not focusing on measurables just yet in a comparative fashion. Now, if you want to chart her numbers for her own personal development and to give her a way to track her progression, that would be cool.

Not to Hi-Jack thread, but DD had her first lesson with local highschool catcher. It went great. She changed a couple things in her set up and helped her with proper blocking technique. Wife said it's the hardest she has ever seen DD work. She really enjoyed it, and we've already firmed up for Lesson #2 next Wednesday before she leaves for a Showcase in Cali. I'll get some video of next weeks lessons hopefully. Good luck this weekend to all if you're playing!!!

Josh

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
The flip side is that a lot of catchers work on speed and sacrifice proper technique. Please stress proper technique and working on being steady and smooth. 1/4 or 1/2 speed drills are great for this. You want your catchers to be confident and consistent with their throwing technique. The speed will come after that. (Never clock throws if you are developing technique or skill)

2.1? That is FAST for a 10 yo. I think form is the key here. We are on our second year of 10U and finalyy throwing out kids who steal second. However it is still only 1 out of every 10 occurrences. Half the misses are due to developing players on the receiving end of the throw and the other half are due to footwork and proper pop technique by the catcher forcing them offline or making them delayed on the throw. When these things are on for the catcher we see a great throw and an out. Bottom line I agree with the above post. Focus on fundamentals now and later the outs will come.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1