What's a good home-to-first time? Home-to-home?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Coog, your question is somewhat like asking a gym full of pitcher's dads about radar velocity readings. The 'information' is basically useless due to the differences in parameters and the person running the stopwatch.

I'd suggest that YOU gather numbers for yourself. Build a database over time however you want to do it, but be sure to be consistent in what/how you are measuring. If you use ball contact to base contact during actual games, you can start gathering lots of times of the fastest kids at tournaments, for example. That will give you a yardstick to measure your DD or players against, as long as you measure under the same circumstances ie 'in-game.' That is just one example of how to build your database.

If you are looking for numbers for player profile sheets, don't worry about using a number like 2.6 seconds. That looks about as believeable as a 12yo who throws 64mph lol. Using your database, you can determine whether a player has "elite speed" or "above average speed." If neither, then you could just omit the info from the profile, but if the player's speed IS elite or above average, state it as such and leave it at that. Elite speed grabs attention at least as well as some tiny number of questionable accuracy IMO. 'Elite running speed' may get an invite so that coaches can see for themselves and assign their own number. They will know how the prospect compares to THEIR yardstick.

Your questions have merit for sure and that's why the actual numbers--from somebody else-- mean little, but it's JMHO.

Good luck,
VW

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
So, how much does speed change from 9th grade in high school to freshman year in college? How much improvement is realistic? I know it depends partly on how fit and trained the athlete is to begin with.

My kid was actually faster as a 14 year old than she was late in high school and college. The last time I saw a clock on her she was mid 2.8's

Oct 10, 2011
speed

DD is faster now than when she was at 12-14 due to training and weight loss but she will probably never be lower than 3!

Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
Savy...

In a speech given by Sue Enquist of UCLA she said that speed is not as important as savy when it comes to base running. My daughter is probably the faster 'runner' but I don't think she is necessarily the best base runner.

Times are subjective and I would use the ever popular 'eye test' to determine what is 'fast'.

Jan 24, 2009
Savy...

In a speech given by Sue Enquist of UCLA she said that speed is not as important as savy when it comes to base running. My daughter is probably the faster 'runner' but I don't think she is necessarily the best base runner.

Times are subjective and I would use the ever popular 'eye test' to determine what is 'fast'.

Good points Coach. I doubt that Sue was talking about the home to first portion of baserunning though.

More than once I have wished that you could courtesy run for the batter to first, and not because she wasn't savvy!

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2014
I think taking a video and counting frames is the most reliable method...even then it's +- .03 seconds at 30 fps.

I use the Coaches Eye app with the timer add on and my iPad air at 720p and 60 fps. The clock starts at contact of the pitch and the bat and stops at the instant the batter touches first. I have never timed a high school girl under 3.0 using this method including some exceptionally fast kids. It is not unusual to find D1 college level young ladies in the 2.7 or 2.8 area.

Oct 17, 2014
Preferable timing method is on solid surface in a straight line 20 yard dash with laser timing system. You will see this become the norm as combine style testing becomes more prevalent at softball events. College coaches want info that is easily verifiable and comparable. I have researched a lot of laser timed 20 yard dashes from high school, travel ball, and college softball players at all divisions. This was the rating system that I came up with based upon that ACCURATE data, and not unreliable data such as profile sheets, hand-timed times, or batters box times:

Poor 3.61 or higher

Below Average 3.60-3.34

Average 3.33-3.07

Above Average 3.06-2.80

Elite 2.79 or lower

Mar 25, 2011
Yes, girls definitely can get faster as they age up in high school. Others, of course will go the other direction, it essentially comes down to a couple of factors. Body shape, work ethics, and coaching/training, and the scary word, injuries. My dd found herself injured for the past 2 off seasons, and had been working out prior to her injuries. Her injuries sapped all of her strength and conditioning she had built, and put her in the negative. It took her half way through each of the following seasons to get even close to where she was when she started working out.

Speed rarely needs a clock. Left side / right side box, that shouldn't even be a question. 60' is 60', that's what you should time (I would recommend not sliding into the finish line ;) , even though soo many players want to tell us they are faster when they dive to first! ) I think a real good thing you could look at is stolen bases. Although this involves the head a lot more (timing your take off), this is where speed is really seen.

Unfortunately, high school stats and even travel ball stats rely on moms and dads most of the time putting down the marks. I have seen a number of times passed balls and wild pitches counted as stolen bases... errors being hits, just number of fabricated stats after fabricated stats. Perhaps this question is best left for the college coaches...? Why not some direct emails to them, asking them how they prefer the measurements and how they take them... and how they weed through the jumbled messes.

Jun 29, 2013
Bet time I saw at a 12U tryout recently (quality team for this year, but not one likely to be considered elite) was 3.1 in a combined 10u/12U tryout. One kid that I know who has a long, lanky build and whom I know has "softball speed" like Jerry Rice had "football speed" was a 3.4. The fastest kid was one I know a little bit better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad