What to work on in off season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 15, 2011
My 12u DD has started working on pitching after a couple of months off. I think she needs to work on keeping palm up at 9 for more whip action and not swimming. Any other issues that people see would be much appreciated. Thanks and keep warm with this artic blast!!

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
It will be interesting to see what the true pitching experts have to say, but I think she's got an explosive leap. However, I think she loses some of it in that hop she does at the end. That is, I believe if she were to stop herself (rather than hop at the end), providing more resistance to throw against, there would be a couple mph velocity gain.

Further, I think her arm is a little cramped as she starts, but she seems to get a good arm circle. Personally, I think the arm should be a bit longer and lankier from the start, but that's just me.

I think she's got a bright future pitching.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Echo what DR says. Legs look very strong, need to use them better. Also the core is adding very little. She bends, straightens out, then moves forward. Load the legs and core then lead with the head.

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks Doug and Riseball. This is why I love this site, someone might see something I don't. I didn't realize about the hop at the end, which we will work on. Riseball- I had to read your post a couple of times to fully understand it, but I think I do now. She understands the analogy of being a sprinter off the block at her load, but she needs to dart out of her load with her head first, instead of standing straight up. I will have her do some load and explode drills. Thanks again and anymore analysis would be appreciated.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
You know.... Given she is clearly athletic and DOES get a pretty explosive leap, I think she might benefit from a slightly longer leap. It would sure help prevent that hop at the end that bleeds out some of the forward energy she generates.

Having said that, I think the focus on how far the pitcher leaps can, and often does, get over done.

Nov 13, 2014
Very strong...slow that wind up down. Dont need all that. Arm is super straight. Glove flies open big time.

On second look...very blurred but it looks like she's getting behind the ball around 8 o'clock? Hard to tell. Are to teaching her ir? She is finishing Palm down but something looks off around 8,, but it's hard to say for sure. Blurry. How hard does she throw, I heard you say change up. What change does she throw? Nic job.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
I like her mechanics and I agree with eliminating the hop for better front side resistance and getting a better load and drive. My pet peeve but have her pitch from a pitching plate. Always...

Would be curious to know how hard she throws and which pitches she has?

In the off season, I would work on introducing a new pitch and start working on game strategy. For example, how to setup the next pitch. If she doesn't have a killer changeup, I would definitely work on that pitch a lot. Since she has solid mechanics, you can introduce new pitches and see which ones are better the others and work on getting great spin and be able to locate the pitch consistently.

She has a bright pitching future ahead of her. Nice work!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would also have her slow down the start of her motion. Cat Osterman is a good example of a pitcher who starts her motion slowly, builds energy, and then has an explosive finish. Starting slow keeps everything relaxed. A relaxed muscle is a happy muscle. Happy muscle = speed!

Jun 15, 2011
Thanks for your responses. Doug- I will continue to have her work on her leap. One thing she also needs worked on is that sometimes she is airborne with her push off foot. She is never called for it, but she may in 14u. Minister- thanks for your input. Like I said in my initial post I am trying to get her more whip and she does lead with her pinkie and does brush resistance. She does have a tendency to push the ball, instead of pull the ball, that is why I am preaching palm up. She has a very nice flip change she has been working on for the past year. She wants her next pitch to be a curve and has been working with a spinner lately for that spin.
Rocket tech- I agree with a pitcher's plate. I just bought some indoor/outdoor carpet and am going to adhesive a plate on it since it is now a balmy 8 degrees. Her top speed is 48, but cruises around 45-46. Her change is about 38. Riseball- I will have her look at Cat's mechanics. She is very strong and tries to muscle the ball rather than whip it. I keep telling her be like a noodle, not a board. Thanks again everyone!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom