What to do???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2014
Hello everyone.
I've been on the site more then I can remember just to read and get some info. This is my first post. (Just registered today). I have a problem. We just had tryouts for TB. I have a girl that I don't know if I should pick up. I do want to pick her up to get her better and get her ready for H.S ball, there is no room for her in the OF since I have a stacked OF, but she's a good kid. The reason I don't want to pick her up is that she is always late for games and practices (had her on my rec team) and I don't want to deal with her mother like I have in the past. I was thinking of just putting her on the practice squad to get her mechanics and batting better. How should I go about this situation?

Apr 1, 2010
Refer her to another team in the area. Contact the coaches first tho

I agree. If she's a good kid who you want to help, see if you can call around and find a team that can actually use an outfielder.

--And warn her and her Mom that she'd better get her to practices/games on time or travel teams won't keep her.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I agree with MSD, perhaps find her a spot on a "building team".

Caution if you've already had bad dealings with the parent, one bad apple can cause havoc across your whole team. I know you want to help this young girl, that's honorable, but always weigh the odds how it will affect the group you have now.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Over the years we have cut several players simply because we did not want to deal with their parents.....and we were glad we did!

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Many coaches would be looking how to get OUT of this situation. You are thinking about going in to it. I admire your heart, but think of the team 1st.

Welcome aboard!

Jul 2, 2013
Coaches do not live in a bubble.

Put her where you think she should be. Practice squad, bench, extra player, that is for you to decide.

You said she was a good kid. That is enough for me. Give her a chance. If they protest, tell her EXACTLY what the player, and parents need to do to improve the situation. Let them decide her fate.

Too many times coaches want to put themselves in the position of deciding a players fate. It does not need to be so. TELL them what you need. If and when they do not follow, then decide. Anything less ... sigh.

You said nothing about her TALENT. Another red flag for me as a players parent evaluating coaches.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
Not to highjack this thread BUT......

TB teams have practice squads?!?!?!?!?!

My 9yo DD's (10U) season is over. No all-star season - she was on the bubble but two girls who played up came back down for all-stars. She's a really good kid, determined and hard working. She has a good bat, is a first year pitcher, plays 3rd and outfield. More field time would be a great thing. She wants to keep playing and practicing beyond working with me....

How does one find a practice squad? Are there other options to keep playing?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
TB teams have practice squads?!?!?!?!?!

How does one find a practice squad? Are there other options to keep playing?

It really depends on the team and the head coach's philosophy - some coaches will offer a practice spot and some won't. I have kept "practice" players in the past as a way to help the players improve with the goal to either make our team or another team the following year. I offer them reduced fees (essentially what every other player pays minus tournament and uniform costs). My practice players play in our scrimmages and friendlies, but not the tournaments unless we need a guest player.

Last year I kept a player who grew up playing baseball, and really didn't know if she wanted to commit to softball. She was a kid that was really worth the time investment because she had skills, but in softball terms was just "raw" (she is my lead-off hitter this year). I offered another practice spot to a player this year, but I was honest with her and her mom that I thought she should tryout for another team, and if she made that team she should take it (she did). The player (and parents!) has to be mature enough to understand why they are at practice but "never get to play in the tournaments", otherwise you end up with a difficult to manage situation for the player, parent, and coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell