What to do? another coach that quits...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2014
This is team number 2 in a row where coach just gives up on the girls during the game. Things start going south in the game the head coach simply "cashes out". DD plays 14U, State tourney this weekend, their team (3-0 so far) ran into a jugernaut. The other team didnt give up more than 5 runs the whole tourney. During that game, tell tell signs of coach quiting started to loom. No longer stayed for mid inning huddles, leaning against the fence when base coaching. They lost 0-12. It consistantely got worst and worst. The next game they won. In final game of loser bracket few defensive errors happen and other team capitalized. After that coach just quit, didnt give any signs at 3rd base coach, even turned his back to a few girls if they swung at "bad" pitches. Last few innings even quit giving signs to my DD who was catching, said "I am done, you give the signs". But this proud dad seen his DD call time, walk out to pitchers mound and tell pitcher that "coach quit giving signs, its our game now". Other team scored 0 that inning.

In my opinion a coach quiting on your team is the most insulting things you can do to a team. My wife wants the DD and me to calm down before making any decisions. I knew this coach was a hot head and short tempered but as many years as he has coached you would figure he wouldnt do this to his team.

We got 4 scheduled tourneys left in this season. There is no way is she moving up to 16U with this coach. My vote now, Dad goes on recruiting spree and DD moves to another team. Pretty sure after seeing my DD in full rage mode and tearing up, she is done too. I am new to this board a few people on here even know me and my DD heck coach might even be on here but they all know my kid gives 125% all the time, there is no quit in that child she will fight tooth and nail for you. To bring her to tears is an insult to her.

PS - I have been banned for a few weeks of seeing the coach, my boss laid the law down.

They did finish 3rd in State, after the game, no huddle, no nothing, walked out of the dugout said "practice wednesday" and left.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Interesting subject, in HS this year DD couldn't hit the ball to save her life (coaches did the exact same thing you describe like turning their back to the hitters), which in TB last summer she ended with like a .378 avg with 14 doubles, a couple of triples and a HR. First tournament this past weekend she goes 7-13 with 4 doubles. I asked her what is the difference (because many of the TB pitchers are the same ones she sees in HS). She told me that it doesn't matter if she strikes out or gets a hit, the coach always acts the same way and she knows that she will get another chance. Confidence in your players goes a long long way.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
A girl that picks up the slack when her coach lets go of the rope deserves the kind of coach that would never put her in that situation.
You need to make it clear to the org. that they cannot let this person represent them with this kind of behavior.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Everyone knows that the performance of the 13-15yo's under your charge a direct reflection of your manhood and when it is all said and done it is all about the coach, not the players.

Mar 29, 2012
On SBF you said the coach is also the org director. Afraid your screwed then, time to move on. If there was someone you could go to that would be one thing, but you can't have a coach who just walks off and quits giving signs even if things are going bad.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
There must be more to the story here. OP says this is "team number 2 in a row" where the head coach quit on his team. Are you that poor a judge of character that you pick 2 teams with two "quitter" coaches? Or is there more going on here that you're not saying? Like, how is it that your "boss" has banned you from speaking to the coach??!:confused:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros