What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You're a soft, overweight and out of shape dad - nothing more. After your boy moved on, you decided to add a revenue stream to your portfolio. And you hate that I point that out for everyone to see. Deal with it. You're like O'Leary that way... :D

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Remember how you used to lick SE's boots? Then you became an expert... Oh My!

Direct Load Launch

CabreraHandPath.gif

Poor Tbone needs some deprogramming.

Last edited:

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Officially exposed, AGAIN!!! :D

This players swing is now being used as the model - high level pattern. OH MY

Makea3.gif

His knowledge is limited to his athleticism. He's a non-athlete giving advise on being athletic. I'd be more inclined to listen if he was talking about tasty fried food.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
My thinking has changed about how the fingers hold the bat, and making sure that the bat does not get into the crux. Loading will happen, and the FEELING of the forearm hand load happens only if the bat is held in the fingers.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Correct Mann, finger grip pressure is stronger than palm grip. The point of mentioning the "crux" is to illustrate where the resistance is felt during the along phase - "toward" fingers vs. "toward" crux. Active and educated hands.

The Direct Protect's worth is during the "along phase".

Tbone and Tubby think the hands are just along for the ride - that the SCIP is the main focus. When they say "whip the barrel rearward and allow the hip to catch the barrel and propel it forward", I call BS!

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I do understand both sides, and i have put both into categories. Being a youth coach, up through HS, i have to deal with velocity differentials that are at extremes. from 35 to 64. at 14u i have to go from hitting 35, to 60 in one week. Its a tough task for youth. There are Phases in the swing that help with this extreme. Instant unloading , or inactive hands is great for Home run derby time, but will not work well when the velocity overwhelms uneducated hands. The ability to maintain a loading of the hands, is one that all my players are really enjoying at this time, our bat speed is extreme, and with two strikes they know they can stay on top of the ball, and be early, and still supply pop.

Even though my passion is hitting, i am a coach, in real games. I bat 17 per game all in order, during league [play. I am starting to see what works in real life.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
To your point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUidzf-Bvp8

As for the SCIP focus...for eff sake...how many times does that nonsense need to be beaten down?

CP

CP, in the above demo the right-handed golfer grips the club with his left hand such that the left thumb runs along the direction of the shaft. Why do so many golfers do this while only a few baseball/softball hitters do this?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse